cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 07 GRT Restore not working

Zach_2
Level 4

Has anyone been able to successfully restore a message using GRT?  I'm testing and cannot get this to work.  I have Exchange 07 64 bit on Server 2008 Standard.  I have backupexec 12.5 64 bit on 64-bit Windows Server 2008 Standard.   I'm using a Windows Server 2003 machine with a huge array of disks as a B2D Folder currently.  I also have a NAS, but not being used in this scenario.

Error message - Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

I even tried using an Enterprise Admin account for the backup/restore and that didn't work.  All the research ive done has led me to beleive it is a permissions issue, but I'm leaning away from that after the EA account failed.  Any ideas? 

2 REPLIES 2

Anup
Level 6
Certified
1. Open the hosts file located at %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ by using an editor such as Notepad.
%SystemRoot% refers to the drive where the Windows system files are located.
2. Comment out the line that references the IPv6 address.
# :::1 localhost

3. Add the following lines into the file:
127.0.0.1 hostname of the computer
127.0.0.1 FQDN of the computer
actual IPv4 address hostname of the computer
actual IPv4 address FQDN of the computer

3. Save the changes made to the file and restart the Backup Exec services on the Exchange server.

4. Run an Information Store backup/restore and verify the results.

Reference http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305539.htm

Dont forget to replace ip address or the computer name of the servers in their own host file (Dont copy paste as it is)

Zach_2
Level 4

Thanks for the reply. 

I have found that article along with a couple of other procedure-articles from Symantec for GRT.  Most of these articles reference BUE 11d.  I use 12.5 which I may regret since it just came out and the lack of documentation is very revealing when googling anything.

Anyways - the steps you mention are involved in a single server topology for the Exchange environment.  We run a 3 server topology - One server for the mailbox role, one for the Hub transport, and one for the client access. (EX01, XH01, XA01 respectively)  I have already made the changes to the CA server which are found in the support doc you referenced.  This involved unchecking the IPv6 protocol from the NIC properties and making a registry change.  The backup is successful, it's the restore of a single message that is the issue. 

I also found an article about permissions for the BEadmin account.  The BEadmin account is an Exchange organization administrator and an Exchange server administrator.  I even tried using an ExchangeService account which is a member of the Enterprise admins group.  The GRT restore fails after about 2-10 seconds of running with unable to attach to a resource.  All the research i've seen is either permissions or IPv6.  I have taken permissions out of the question by using an EnterpriseAdmins account and made the changes to the IPv6 protocol as mentioned in the helpdoc you referenced http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305539.htm.  I did not make any host file changes because - according to the link above - that is for a single exchange server topology, which we do not run.

Any other ideas?  My main concern is that some of the articles i've seen for GRT restores involve upgrading to a specific build of BUE 11d.  I'm affraid there may need to be a hotfix/SP applied to my 12.5, but since it came out a couple weeks ago (i think), that information is not available because it is so new.  I wonder if Symantec has any documentation / webcasts, etc (something that lets me see) that GRT is a capable thing with BUE 12.5.  Everything I'm using for the GRT is 64-bit.  (Exchange, the OS, the BUE software)  all 64-bit and on Server 08 Std.  A checklist would be nice - microsoft always provides checklists of everything you need to do with their upgrades/migrations/procedures/etc, I wonder if Symantec has a GRT checklist for Exchange.

Thanks,

Zach