cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Backup reports ok - but is much too small

ACqua42
Level 2
Hi everybody,

Backing up data works just fine - but doing a full backup of a system drive is much too small: only 7GB of 36 GB are written, BE is reporting success.

My configuration:

BE 12.5, SP3, Rev. 2213, running on Server 2003R2 x64, SP3, streaming to Tandberg 40.

Backup job per agent from a Windows Server 2008R2 x64, SP2, Advanced Open file Option: Microsoft Volumes Shadow Copy Service (just a file server)

I have tried Full backup with to options: use archive bit / copy data. No difference.

The system drive reads
     90404 Files, 36.222.555.353 Bytes
     65177 Folders

But the backup for the system drive says (sorry, german):
   Byte : 7.116.889.516 Byte
   Durchsatz : 564,00 MB/Min
   Dateien : 7.448
   Verzeichnisse : 3.272

Interestingly, the System state is quite big
   Byte : 14.602.152.923 Byte
   Durchsatz : 230,00 MB/Min
   Dateien : 9.518
   Verzeichnisse : 1

And this is quite slow - backing up user data from the same server is 1400 MB/s...

Any ideas why Im not able to save the whole damn thing - or is it just ok like this?!

Thanks,

Andreas
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Also be aware that items that should either not be backed up at all or should be backed up as part of the system state or shadow copy components are automatically part of a 'hidden' exclusion list which we call Active File Exclusion. Files that are excluded using this built in capability are not listed as skipped fiels in the job logs so that teh job will report a success. As an exmaple your swap file will be part of this list.

If you need to prepare for disaster recovery you shoudl be backup up all local drives and the System State and the Shadow Copy components.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Andreas,

Check to make sure your selection list is correct and that you have selected the right information to be backed up. If not, add those directories etc in. If you aren't able too, this might indicate a corrupt selection list and I would then suggest recreating it.
What sort of compression are you getting?
The job log will also show you what information/data was backed up, so check that to make sure that your selections were included.

Laters!

ACqua42
Level 2

ACqua42
Level 2
Thanks, CraigV,

Now I need to ask 3 dumb question:
1) How do I watch and re-create the selection list?
2) Is there a chance to see which files have been saved?
3) Where do I see the compression rate? (Typically, Im getting 1:1.3 on our data.) 

Andreas

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Also be aware that items that should either not be backed up at all or should be backed up as part of the system state or shadow copy components are automatically part of a 'hidden' exclusion list which we call Active File Exclusion. Files that are excluded using this built in capability are not listed as skipped fiels in the job logs so that teh job will report a success. As an exmaple your swap file will be part of this list.

If you need to prepare for disaster recovery you shoudl be backup up all local drives and the System State and the Shadow Copy components.

CraigV
Hi Andreas,

1. You create a selection list on the Job Setup tab. You can then assign this to a new test job if need be. If this works and shows you your full amount of data you back up, then delete the old selection list, and associate the new selection list with your existing job.
2. If you open your Job Log, you can go through and see what files were backed up if you have selected detailed logging. This gets done under Tools --> Options.
3. You would see the compression rate of your tapes under Devices --> your device --> click on a slot. Your current ration you quote though is way too low to see you backing all your data up in 14GB.

Laters!

CraigV
Any news here...?

ACqua42
Level 2
@Craig: 
Thanks, was too busy after understanding it to put a comment here.

The amount is smaller due to all the excluded files - where I did not yet found out where to see a list of all the excluded files. But even the built-in backup from windows is 20GB only, so I presume everything is fine.

Thanks to you all

Andreas