cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start 2 concurrent disk-to-disk jobs, then duplicate these to tape ?

ANPI-TP
Level 2

Hi all,

We have 8 servers to backup using BackupExec 2010. I have created a policy which first backup all the servers to the disk device, then, when finished, start a duplicate operation to tape.
The process takes about 17 hours to complete which is too long.

I would like to create two backup jobs that will run concurrently, and then duplicate the two jobs to tape.

The first backup job will be for the date, and the second backup job will be for the SystemState which is always very slow. It should then not be a problem to backup these two jobs concurrently.

I would appreciate any help.

Thierry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Thierry,

In that case instead of Linking the duplicate jobs to the B2D you can schedule the Duplicate jobs.

You can observe that when does the B2D jobs for both sets gets completed.

So lets say if the B2D jobs gets completed at 8:00 PM then you can schedule the 1st duplicate to start at 10 PM (after 2 hours so as to keep buffer incase if it takes a bit longer time for b2d job to complete). In this job you can select to Overwrite the tape.

And then schedule the 2nd duplicate job to start at 10:30 PM. If the tape drive is free then it will start or else it will be in queued state till the first duplicate is completed. In this job you can select to Append the tape and also Eject the tape at the end.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Thierry,

Instead of splitting the jobs as per the Resouces ( C:, System State, Data drives) . split then in 4 servers each.

So create two selection list with 4 servers selected in each of them. Associate this selection list the Policy that you have created.

So you will have 2 jobs going to the Backup to disk. This will backup different data at the same time to the B2D. Ensure that the Concurrent jobs setting is set to 2 or more (preferably 4) in the B2D properties.

If you have a single tape drive then one of the duplicate job will start and other will be in queued state till the first is completed.

If you have 2 tape drives then you can run the 2 duplicate jobs to 2 different tape drives and even they will be concurrent in this case.

Thanks,

-Sush...

ANPI-TP
Level 2

Sush,

Thanks for your quick response.

I still have one question:

We have a single tape drive.
The two B2D jobs will start at the same time, with their Duplicate job linked to it.

Since I don't know which B2D job will finish first, then I don’t' know which Duplicate job will start first!
So, I don’t know how to configure the following options in each Duplicate job:
- When this job begins, Overwrite media / Append to media;
- Eject media after job completes.

Thanks for your help,

Thierry

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Thierry,

In that case instead of Linking the duplicate jobs to the B2D you can schedule the Duplicate jobs.

You can observe that when does the B2D jobs for both sets gets completed.

So lets say if the B2D jobs gets completed at 8:00 PM then you can schedule the 1st duplicate to start at 10 PM (after 2 hours so as to keep buffer incase if it takes a bit longer time for b2d job to complete). In this job you can select to Overwrite the tape.

And then schedule the 2nd duplicate job to start at 10:30 PM. If the tape drive is free then it will start or else it will be in queued state till the first duplicate is completed. In this job you can select to Append the tape and also Eject the tape at the end.

Thanks,

-Sush...