cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR Restore Fails

Nigel_Basey-Fis
Level 3
The server is a Dell SC1500, i have created IDR CD media which appears all successful, however to test the media i tried to restore to a identical server. The IDR appears fine, partions correctly (as per original server sizeing), copies all its files over etc...... then on reboot the following message appears..... "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.....................Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware"...... as i've said the hardwares identical and the disks were formated prior to the restore. The original installation was performed the "DELL" way.... is this a problem ???... i.e. utilty FAT partition before the c:\..... Please help......
4 REPLIES 4

Smita_Dimber
Level 4
Hello,

When performing the IDR, it is essential that the hardware and other settings of the server which you are restoring is identical in all respects to the original server. Presuming that the original server had a utility partition, and the server to which you are restoring does not have one, we would suggest you to contact OEM hardware vendor , who would make necessary changes to the boot.ini file. Also we would like to clarify that even if the hardware is same, the partition size of the server to which you are restoring the data should be equal to or greater than the original server.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hello,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Thanks.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply

jbtsabw
Level 4
I found that even if everything is the same hardware wise and you made the IDR CD with the option to autocreate partitions DO NOT change ANY partitions in the WIN2k install process. Leave the C partition as FAT32, don't delete it (or any other partition) and change to NTFS. It will be upgraded further in the process.