cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Please insert overwritable media into the drive - ID58061

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3

hello,

We have a Win2003 Server with BackupExec 12.0 V1364 and just work fine until last week.

In the Alerts Tab the message "Insert Please insert overwritable media into the drive. - ID 58061" and backup job don´t finish.

The backup Media Set is configure to "Allow Overwrite" and "Don't allow Append"  and the Backup Policy the "Overwrite media" is selected .

We don´t understand what's it's happennig, can someone help us ?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If your tape isn't overwritable, then the job immediately queues until a tape is made available.

Please see below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60486

Thanks!

dotlike
Level 3

sometimes there is a problem if the end mark is not readable (you will see the message "end marker unreadable"). If you get this message simply quick erase the tape...

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3

Hello,

the tape is overwritable.

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3

Hello,

i already did that but didn't work...

dotlike
Level 3

is the media assigned to the correct media pool (required by the job which is not accepting this tape)?

does the backup job is defined correctly (correct tape drive?)

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3

Hello,

yes the job it's assigned corretly, and yes it's defined to the correct tape drive.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Was teh tape overwriteabel at the time the job started, or had it only become overwritable by the time you checked it the next day - it has to be overwritable when the job starts

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3

Hello, I think i discovered the problem, and problem it's the compression it's not working well.

I Already use the Tracer Utility and the test work fine and the compression are ok.

But in BackupExec "Media" Option the compression ratio is 1:1. and that's why the backup it's not working well.

Can some give a Help ?

The TAPE Drive it's HP DAT 160 SCSI internal

Thanks

CraigV

OK...download HP Library and Tape Tools and stop the BE services. Put in a tape that you can erase (do so in HP LTT) and then run the compression test. See what it spits out.

If it still gives you 1:1, then the issue lies with the tapes themselves (BE will show you if you are getting any Hard Write Errors - excessive errors means you have a media problem) or the drive itself (in which case run the diagnostic tests against the drive thoguh LTT).

Thanks!

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3

Hello,

already did the hardware tests and the DAT its ok. The compression stil remains in 1:1....

I don´t know what can i do more to solve this...But i believe the problem it's concerning a BackupExec

engeneering.

Thanks.

CraigV

Sorry, but I don't agree. If HP LTT shows a 1:1 compression ratio, you have effectively tried to do compression on a hardware level which isn't working. BE has no effect on LTT results, especially considering the services are all stopped.

Thanks!

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3
Hello, the post I mentioned earlier that the test ran without any problem, and in this case includes the compression test which tells that the HP LTT compression is 2:1 . Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that your data is not compressible.  If you are compressing data which is already compressed, like zipped files, sound and movie clips, pictures, etc.  you can end up with more data than you have started with.  See my article on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

To test whether your hardware compression is working with BE, create a directory with a bunch of TEXT files and back the directory up with hardware compression.  If this compresses, then hardware compression is working.

AOFO__Backup_Ex
Level 3

Hello,

I already did the test and it´s not making the compression. Must of the

files are MS Office files and PDF.

Thank you for your help