cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent Disaster Recovery is a joke. Don't buy it.

Aaron_Gabrielso
Level 3
I spent $500, and countless hours preparing to use IRD to do a complete recovery of a production Windows 2003 domain controller running Exchange 2003.

In the middle of the recovery, the IRD software could not connect to the media server. I got the error "Could not add service account to the local administrator group". After 3 hours on the phone with Veritas support, they said I should give up on IRD and just do a manual restore.

SO why did I spend all this money and time on something that didn't work??

I have requested a full refund for this product and don't recommend that anyone buy it. I am using Veritas Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10d.

P.S. the manual recovery worked like a champ. BackupExec works, IRD does not.

Aaron Gabrielson
IT Manager
Redmond Minerals
801-319-6876
17 REPLIES 17

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
That's what I've said since I saw it introduced.

I know that those that have no problems don't post that fact here, but there have been a LOT of folks for whom it doesn't work, and they HAVE posted here.

Aaron_Gabrielso
Level 3
True, the people it works for probably don't post. It is interesting that I have only seen one post by someone who got IRD to work and I think he was on version 9.1. There are many others that got burned like me.

This experience makes me lose faith in Veritas. If they are willing to take money for IRD, then what else might they be cutting corners on.

Data recovery is all about trust. I have to believe that this software is going to save me when I really need it.

Aaron Gabrielson

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Aaron,

We understand how it feels when a software does not work the way it is meant to, especially at the time it is most needed. However in case of IDR, we can say that with due amount of research, trial and error techniques and experiences from various customers, that the IDR software DOES work.

One needs to however follow every step with extreme caution and attention. It won't work even if you miss out on a single step, then be it at the time of the backup or updating the .dr file or pressing on the F6 or F2 key during recovery...if any of these is missed, then IDR is bound to fail. Trying everything all over again is a rather tedious process.

In case you are testing the IDR option, we suggest you to try it step by step all over again and it will definitely work.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Aaron_Gabrielso
Level 3
Ah.. terrific!! The old its not our fault, you must have messed it up excuse!

I followed EVERY instruction in the documentation to the letter. I used EVERY recommended hot fix and service pack. I scoured the forums for anything that I might need to know.

I spent hours on the phone with tech support and they couldn't find a single thing that had been missed.

Maybe you found some way in a lab environment to make the thing work, but the Veritas support technician and I tried everything we could think of and THE SOFTWARE DID NOT WORK.

For you to sit there and put the blame on ME, the IT Manager who is trying to get this shoddy software to work at the critical moment when it is needed most is beyond belief. VERITAS created this software, maybe you should take responsibility for producing something that couldn't deliver.

If anyone out there is going to trust IRD in an actual production environment they should have their head examined.

Aaron Gabrielson
Redmond Minerals Inc.
801-319-6876

Sethu_Mohan_2
Level 2
Hi,

Greetings!!!

I greatly encourage all my fellow Technical Architects, System Engineers, DataCenter Administrators to have IDR deployed and hereby share my best experiences with IDR on BEWS 10.

Following are the Servers recovered in 2hrs 20 min

1.Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller with 1800 users
2.Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 on a Windows Server 2003 member server

Preparations:
All system requirements are checked and ensured
All pre-requisites are inspected and confirmed
All network connectivity dependencies are addressed and met
All Microsoft Service packs, Secuirity patches, Hot fixes are installed
All device drivers are inspected for updated drivers and firmwares
All permissions, rights, privileges and system permissions are provided
All hardware devices in IDR participations were regularly checked and updated
All Domain Security Policies were checked and ensured all well.

The Backup Exec administrator's guide was throughly referred and confirmed.

Above all, we had quarterly IDR drill to be familiar and sure of the issues. All issues were documented, analysed and discussed. The resolutions were tested and found fully functional. All the technical members were given detailed sessions.
Moreover, it is very essential to be very familir with each steps of IDR wizards and the technical reasons for same. Each technical juncture should be made familiar, esle our confidence level shall be below the technical knowhow and we panic.

IDR is tool to automate the Recovery of Servers, provided the preparation is perfect.
The tool functions the way we have configured, the Server behaves the way we have tuned it for the expected perfomance level.

Its just a matter of being friendly with such humanly designed softwares

Wish you all the very Best in future ventures

With Best Regards

Sethu Mohan

Mukund_Paranjap
Level 2
Hi Aaron,

I understand the concern but I would say IDR works.

From your mail it looks like you are trying to recover Exchange 2003 machine which acts as Domain controller as well in the TEST environment.

If so, you have not mentioned whether it�s a remote server or local & it�s a single domain forest or multiple.

Is exchange installation is single server in the organization or is it a part of organization

If the server is remote and you are performing the disaster recovery (Automated/Assisted)

Please ensure the following:

1. You have valid, successful (without exception(s)) backup of Domain controller/Exchange 2003 server

2. Valid online Exchange 2003 backup

3. The updated .DR file (floppy)

4. Valid IDR bootable CD

Presuming the scenario: Single Domain controller running Exchange 2003 Remote server:

I would suggest the following steps to be followed:

1. Boot from CD mentioned in the step 4 above, press enter key

2. Press F2 to perform ASR

3. Reboot, boots into IDR magenta screen, press Escape key

4. When IDR wizard launches, select appropriate automation level, Automated or Assisted

4. On the next screen, supply updated .DR file

5. Select �Remote network�� method and supply following information in the next screen:

Media Server: Name of your Backup Exec media server

Domain/Computer: Name of your Backup Exec media server (because the domain itself has crashed!)

Username: Administrator or the account used to start BE services that has administrative rights

Password: valid password

Hint: On BE media server, open Admin console and go to Login Accounts under Network menu, verify Temporary IDR account is created.

If yes: Proceed with the recovery.

If No: Please write back with the exact scenario.

Once the server is recovered and rebooted, verify if Exchange is started and mailbox stores are dismounted. This is the correct behavior as IDR recovers OS and applications.

Verify that the Exchange services are started, perform Exchange data restore which was backed up with BEWS Exchange agent.

Hint: Uncheck No Loss Restore

==========

Hope this helps!!

- Mukund P

Aaron_Gabrielso
Level 3
I followed all of those exact procedures. Everything worked, until it tried to connect to the media server.

This server was one of two domain controllers in one forest. The environment couldn't be much simpler or less complex. This was my only Exchange server.

I think that with so many different environments, it is tough for Veritas to guarantee that it will work for everyone. However, everything in my environment was listed as supported by Veritas.

I am no longer trying to troubleshoot this issue. It has wasted enough of my time and money.

I just take issue with Veritas trying to tell me that it was my fault that it didn't work. I went through everything in extreme detail.

If Veritas wants to verify any of this, my Veritas case number is 2901800652, and my technician was Pradeep Valmikam at this email address: pradeep_valmikam@symantec.com. This support tech couldn't find a single misstep in my preparations. After 3 hours of troubleshooting he finally told me to give up and go ahead with a standard restore.

Aaron Gabrielson
IT Manager
Redmond Minerals Inc.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Which didn't take much longer than an IDR restore would have.

After all, what does IDR do?

Install a base Windows
Restore
Boot

What does standard recovery consist of
Install base windows
Restore
Boot

If you have created a slipstreamed install CD, what's the difference??? And I simply HATE wizards in the first place. I want to see everything that is happening, so that when (not if) the bloody thing fails, I can see why, and fix it

sammyc53
Level 5
I must agree with Ken on that note.

I can restore very quickly without IDR.

I use the restore CDs that came with my server (basically a unattended windows install).

I can have a base windows system installed, all necessary drivers, and a BEWS agent installed in less that 15 minutes.

Plus - that will never fail! Those CDs that ship with the server are TESTED over and over by the manufacturer... basically, it's the image the machine ships with. Why wouldn't it work?!?!?

Plus, this way, you don't have to worry about all the similar hardware requirements that IDR unrealistically requires you to maintain. Never happens in the real world. Especially for a small business like us that cannot afford to have spare, identical machines around. We have a contract with a Disaster Recovery service that will provide us with spare hardware in case an emergency. The manufacturer and model line will be similar, but they cannot guarantee that all of IDR's similar hardware requirements will be meet. Nor do I blame them. It's just unrealistic!

My 2kb.

Octavio_Formo1
Level 4
Accredited Certified
I love Veritas Products and I�m a Certified person in most of the products, BEWS included.
But the IDR is the worst option.
IDr is not easy and you need to do tests to be sure.
IDR works... but no always and not in the best ways.

Mukund_Paranjap
Level 2
Hi,

I dont agree with what Ken has mentioned:
===
After all, what does IDR do?

Install a base Windows
Restore
Boot
===

It depends upon what role your server plays:
1. File&Print server:
Then it's a same recovery as normal Windows recovery but one should remember the partition size. Isn't it?

2. Domain controller:
Just boot from valid IDR bootable CD --> depending on OS perform ASR by pressing F2 --> Supply valid .DR --> Restore data (X:/System State or Shadow Copy) --> After reboot the machine is Domain Controller. There is no need to go to DSRM = Directory Services Restore Mode and run NTDSUTIL.

3. SQL server:
Recovers machine with Master and Model databases. Rest all of the databases can be recovered from SQL data backed up with SQL agent.
Whereas in normal Windows recovery, you need to rebuild Master if an Offline backup is not available and then perform restore. In some cases, you need to install SQL application as well and you have to remember the settings.

4. Exchange Server:
Recovers machine with Exchange services running, automatically creates mailboxes, You just need to restore Exchange data that was backed up with Exchange agent.
In manual recovery it is needless to say, the Offline backup is must.

Further, I think slipstreamed CD means service pack integrated. If so, then it is very useful in terms of hardware support! As an example, If one version of OS is not supporting a particular NIC and the support for that NIC is added in the service pack, I do not require to supply OEM driver CD/floppy while recovery if I have created IDR CD using service pack integrated OS CD.

- Mukund P

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If IDR works for you, Great, Congratulations

But I've see too many post like Aaron's.

He has been on the phone with Veritas/Symantec TechSupport, who have walked him through this, and it STILL doesn't work.

If he had done a standard MS recovery he would still have been days/weeks ahead of where this worthless POS has him

Clive_Hunt
Level 3
I had the unfortunate time using IDR. All I did was replace the SCSI Hard Drives in my DC and then perform the IDR from CD. All was going well until it performed the system state restore which stopped after 99% with a "error in communications" error.

How could there be a communications error if the darn thing was restoring all hunky dorey....? anyway,

After rebooting the DC I now get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) now know as a Stop Screen saying that the boot drive is not bootable.

Can anybody help with this one.

Fingers crossed.Message was edited by:
Clive Hunt

Owen_Iverson
Level 3
Tired of non-helpful tech support? I have yet to gain any helpful/useful information from the Symantec/Veritas techs. They want to move as many topics to the "answered" section as possible. The "two-day, automatically assumed answered" policy is absurd, in my opinion.

For these reasons, I have started a new backup exec group at google.

If you're interested, please check it out, and spread the word if you like it.

http://groups.google.com/group/backupexec

sammyc53
Level 5
Personally, I prefer ittoolbox.com. I am sure there is already a Veritas Group there...

Owen_Iverson
Level 3
i find ittoolbox's interface to be a bit overwhelming. and the pop-up boxes asking for registration and industry info, are not the most inviting...

but i'll def keep it as a resource. thanks for the tip.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.