Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimized duplication in CASO environment

biocide
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

I’ve just setup  BE 2014 optimized duplication In CASO environment.  I created CASO server with dd and MMS with dd as well since it is requirement for opt dupe.

I created backup job that use dd on CASO server and are replicated to MMS server.

After that I read the best practices document  and it says "…Do not run jobs that use a deduplication disk storage device on a central administration server. Instead, assign backup jobs to managed Backup Exec servers and select a Backup Exec server pool as a setting for the destination device ". …..

My question is – why running jobs that use dd on CASO server is consider  as wrong configuration ??

Thanks

Jurek

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...seems to be an engineering question so I have hit the support flag here.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It's more of a performance thing (which then can affect reliability). We get customers with quite large environments (multiple MMS servers each backing up multiple remote servers). In this type of environment the CASO server can be very busy just managing the distubution of jobs and catalogs and as such adding the extra intensive overheard of running it's own deduplicaton folder would then be not recommneded. Hence the best practice.

For the same reasons we usually recommend that the SQL server that the CASO server's Backup Exec database is running in be a full SQL instance instead of SQL express. (but again this is only needed for the larger multi-server, multi-job environments)

Note: in smaller environments we do have customers using the CASO as a deduplication host in it's own right