cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from secondary BE Server without a CASO license.

ianonyango
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

My client has one 1 BackupExec 2012 media server at Primary site. I have set it up to backup to a Data Domain device. The primary Data Domain device replicates to a secondary Data Domain device currently located at DR.

The client would now like to have another BackupExec 2012 media server at DR and would like be able to restore from that site. i.e in case there is prolonged downtime at Primary.

Is this possible without the CASO license? Can a BackupExec server restore data that it did not initially backup? For instance if we connect the secondary BE server to the secondary Data Domain device and then run “Inventory and Catalogue”. Would this work?

Could you please do advise on a possible solution or workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is because toy are replicating your DD's which is the same as copying and that is a no-no. See this document http://www.veritas.com/docs/000015327 So if you want to catalogued the copied backup sets, you need to have an empty BEDB. You can use the BEUtility to get an empty BEDB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. It will work you can inventory and catalog the DD with the new media server at the DR site, but depending on the amount of data on the DD, the cataloging process might take a long time.  Also, you need to make sure that you have a brand-new BEDB each time you do the catalog so you cannot save time by cataloging every now and then.

You would also need to have another BE licence for the second server.

ianonyango
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thank you for your reply.

Please explain what you mean by "you need to make sure that you have a brand-new BEDB each time you do the catalog so you cannot save time by cataloging every now and then". ?? It wasn't quite clear. 

And how exactly do I do that? 

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is because toy are replicating your DD's which is the same as copying and that is a no-no. See this document http://www.veritas.com/docs/000015327 So if you want to catalogued the copied backup sets, you need to have an empty BEDB. You can use the BEUtility to get an empty BEDB