cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a job's Selections/Resource Order

aniella
Level 2

Hello :)

Yes, I am new to Backup Exec products and having a heck of time getting everything sorted out...my apologies if this question is so simple it is stupid, but I actually need that level of clarity right now. Actually I have two really basic question:

QUESTION 1: I am looking at the following listing.  I cannot for the life of me make sense of the /SUBDIR and/or /EXCLUDE labeling here. What is confusing me is the way it is listing what is both included and excluded even if there are files or subdirs that are included and excluded within the same directory.  What is being backed up and what isn't? 

An incredibly explicit answer (yes, hand-holding) to this question would be greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately, pummeled with new info overload (new job) I am a little confidence shaken and confused.  Clearing up at least this (probably very simple) point about this product's config would go a long way toward wrangling our backups into some sort of sensible order and also allow me to speak with my boss with confidence on what is and isn't being backed up and how given the current EXCLUDES in our current nightly backup we will be screwed in the event of a failure. 

When I look at this, for example, it says to me every FILE at the directory level C:\RECYCLER\*.* is being backed up, however if C:\RECYCLER\ has any subdirs the subdirs of this director are NOT being backed up.  Is that correct or not?

I take it something like line 6, D:\*.* is going to include all files and all subdirs and their files.

What about lines 3 and 5 - how are subdirs *.* included only to be excluded and then on line 5 a subdir of the same excluded dir is included. 

What about line 8 - to me that says it is only that particular file that is excluded even though the line above is including all subirs of this drive.   

1:   SERVER - Y

2:   C:\*.* /SUBDIR
3:   C:\Documents and Settings\ACI\*.* /SUBDIR /EXCLUDE
4:   C:\RECYCLER\*.* /SUBDIR /EXCLUDE
5:   C:\Documents and Settings\ACI\My Documents\*.* /SUBDIR
6:   D:\*.* /SUBDIR
7:   E:\*.* /SUBDIR

8:  E:\MYCO\fix_214\fix_214.mdb /EXCLUDE
9:  Shadow Copy Components\*.* /SUBDIR
10:  System State\*.* /SUBDIR

11:  SERVER - X
12:  C:\*.* /SUBDIR
13:  D:\*.* /SUBDIR

14:  D:\WSUS\*.* /SUBDIR /EXCLUDE
15:  Utility Partition\*.* /SUBDIR
16:  Shadow Copy Components\*.* /SUBDIR
17:  System State\*.* /SUBDIR

QUESTION 2:  Part of the issue with making sense of the above is I cannot seem to find any reasonable documentation for this product that explains exactly what is going on here.  The help just didn't seem to say it in a way that gave me 100% confidence that I knew what I was doing on this part of the config.  Symantec must have an online place for Backup Exec 12 documentation...maybe its the days chaos that have blinded me but I just couldn't find it in here or google.  Any links to awesome documentation or product manual for this product?

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

All the documentation for v12x is at

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC2198&key=15047&actp=LIST

/SUBDIR    means from that point as far down the tree as you can go

/EXCLUDE means just that, don't backup that folder/file

The two combined mean don't backup the specified folder or anything under it

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

All the documentation for v12x is at

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC2198&key=15047&actp=LIST

/SUBDIR    means from that point as far down the tree as you can go

/EXCLUDE means just that, don't backup that folder/file

The two combined mean don't backup the specified folder or anything under it

aniella
Level 2

Thank you, Ken! Thank you very much :).