cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-1) occurred in object 51

James_Crawley
Level 3

I set up a brand new Virtual Machine in VMWare so I could test Backup Exec 2012.  Installed Windows Server 2008 Standard R2, and updated it to SP1.  I then installed the trial version of Backup Exec 2012 by accepting all defaults (express install etc), downloaded freshly from Symantec's website today.  Upon trying to run it for the first time, I get an error saying it cannot connect to the server.  I look in the event logs and find the following error message "The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-1) occurred in object 51".

I came here, did a search and found the following thread.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-server-service-did-not-start-internal-error-1-occurred-object-51

Am I reading this thread correctly if my understanding of their "solution" was to uninstall, remove all registry traces and try again.  The way to fix an error from a clean install on a clean server, is to roll back the install removing all traces, and doing a clean install?  Are you kidding me?

So far my experience has been a VERY poor one.  First of all the message in the event log isn't in the slightest bit helpful.  It gives the above message, then directs someone here rather than providing information that could be in the remotest bit useful.  Every time I click on any link or try to do anything on this website, it has taken me 60-240 seconds (yes, I've been timing it) for anything to load.  From performing the search on the error message (240 seconds before results finally came on screen), to opening some of the links that were returned (60-120 seconds for each of those to load).  I'm about ready to give up and switch product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

James_Crawley
Level 3

The server I was building was how ever the installed defaults the settings to be.  There was no AV on this server as it was just for some short testing, and it was part of the domain.  The accounts used were all administration ones.

The problem has been resolved, however it required uninstalling the software, removing all traces in both the file system and registry, then re-installing and accepting all defaults (just as had been done the first time).  The second time around, it worked.

The random error numbers I was not impressed with, nor the fact there was no way to reference those numbers in any documentation nor on the Symantec website.  The site taking anywhere from 1-5 minutes (not an exaggeration) to respond to any click (as it was doing last Friday when I was having this problem) simply compounded the problem, though it is responding ok now.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi James,

No, in the link above, the solution was to remove the server from a CASO.

Are you running an antivirus on that server? If so, stop it, and try starting the services up.

THat server should also be a member of your current domain (or if it is a test server, DCPROMO it into it's own domain, isolated within VMware from your production network). Once done, the BE service account must be a domain admin at a bare minimum.

Thanks!

James_Crawley
Level 3

The server I was building was how ever the installed defaults the settings to be.  There was no AV on this server as it was just for some short testing, and it was part of the domain.  The accounts used were all administration ones.

The problem has been resolved, however it required uninstalling the software, removing all traces in both the file system and registry, then re-installing and accepting all defaults (just as had been done the first time).  The second time around, it worked.

The random error numbers I was not impressed with, nor the fact there was no way to reference those numbers in any documentation nor on the Symantec website.  The site taking anywhere from 1-5 minutes (not an exaggeration) to respond to any click (as it was doing last Friday when I was having this problem) simply compounded the problem, though it is responding ok now.