cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The backup take too huge time to complete

Mani_S1
Level 3

Hi Frnds,

I am using the Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 in Windows Server 2003 SP2, there is no issue with backup process for past two years, but lat one month there is some issue with Backup.

1.The backup take too huge time to complete and it not completed tooooo Normally differential take 5 to 6 hrs, now it take 30 hrs.

Recently we expand the network storage size and I inserted a new tapes, otherwise we I don't change anything in backup exec. I confused with those errors and from where I start my troubleshoot ??

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should explain more on "expand the network storage size".  What exactly did you do?

Mani_S1
Level 3

We are using Dell storage in NAS enviorement and it contains the user data alone. This is major thing involved in Symantec backup exec and expand my network storage size from 1 TB to 1.5 TB.

Now I found the root cause of the issue, actually the symantec antivirus make the problem.

When I stop the antivirus and trigger the backup, that time its behaviour was normal, I could not understand past two both are working well, but what happend last two weeks.

One more thing is the backup process speed (Job rate) is around 1000 MB/min for the first 2 1/2 Hrs, after that it was slowly goes down till 55 MB/min like.....

Regards

Mani S

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...so you need to put in an exclusion for the BE services within SAV itself. This will stop the AV from scanning your BE services.

The other thing...depending on what sort of data you're backing up, and the size of the files, you can expect a slow down. Smaller files don't allow the drive to spin at an optimal speed. 55MB/m is incredibly slow, so if you're able to check your job log to see where it's slowing down, you'll get an idea of where to look to start troubleshooting...

Mani_S1
Level 3

I excluded a \programmfiles\symantec\backup exec\ folder.but there is no improvement.

More ever I found one thing that, while running the backup, the the library status showing as "idle or Ready" and first 2 hrs It showing normal speed, after that the speed will goes down.

I could not understand whether the issue with HW or SW

"check your job log to see where it's slowing down"

Where can I find it?

Regards,

Manikandan S 

CraigV

...stop the BE services, and try running a backup through NTbackup. If it gives you the same issue, then it is hardware-related.

Mani_S1
Level 3

Dear Frineds,

I could find the root cause alone, but could not find the solution. The original problem is recently we upgraded the stogare manager from 1 tb to 1.5 TB as mentioned above. The symantec take too much time to take backup of that drive alone.

I tried disk defragement, but no luck, Is there any Idia??? 

CraigV

OK...so try the following:

1. Reboot the NAS, backup server and tape drive (if in use).

2. Upgrade BE 12.5 to the latest SP and any subsequent patches, and then push-install to any remote servers you may have.

3. Log on to the NAS and double-check that there are no issues showing up in the logs (misconfiguration, hardware failures, hardware alerts etc.).

4. Remove the selection on the NAS from the selection list within BE and re-add it.

5. Make sure no AV is scanning the BE services. If they are, put in exclusions for them.

6. Run the backup again...

Mani_S1
Level 3

Hi,

I tried whatever u mentioned above, except upgrade, since the upgrade was not possible now.

I found one more thing is, the smc.exe using high cpu usage while backup process. Actually thats was the issue. I change the policy as uncheck the option " scan when the file backed up" and trigger the backup.

Waiting for result.

I could not found one thing is , why "smc.exe" take high cpu usage while backup nw drive, but not in local drive.

Regards,

Mani S 

CraigV

...if you're running a firewall, turn it off and try running the network backup again.

If it works, make sure there are exclusions in it for the BE RAWS service to be allowed access both ways.

Mani_S1
Level 3

I raised a call with Symantec, as suggested by them I upgraded my Symantec Endpoint version.

Now the High CPU utilization issue has been resolved. but still the slow performance issue was there.

Where I wan to start?

any othere idea

Regards,

Mani S

CraigV

Hi,

So try the following:

1. If you're currently running your backup to tape, try running a backup of a medium-amount of data to disk and see if this resolves the issue.

2. Update your media server, and then push-install your updates to any remote servers you might have.

3. Update the firmware on your drive and robotics (if present). This then takes care of all system updates.

4. Make sure that your network cards and switch ports are set to the fastest speed of the NICs. If need be, look at upgrading the NIC drivers.

5. Look at creating a new stand-alone backup job and selection list to rule out possible corruption in your current selection list and job.

Thanks!

Mani_S1
Level 3

CariagV,

Thanks for your suggestion.

As worked with Symantec engineer, confirmed the issue with our storage only. The BE take obnormal time while backuing up storage content alone.

So next I moved to start the trouble the storage. There is some issue, during the Read&write the data in NAS storage. Actually the storage mapped with same server (media server) as F drive.

If have any Idea pls revert me, it will help to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Mani S