Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Backup Jobs to one tape each day, Exchange job and Data job

NateSymanAd1
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I'm wondering how I backup two jobs, ones a Exchange job and ones a Data job to the same tape each night and not have the second job(Exchange) remove the data job that was ran first.

I have a 2008 SBS Server with Backup Exec 12.5, I would like to backup The Data backup job and the Exchange backup job to the same tape with out having either remove the other backed up job.

I've tried running the backup for both exchange and the data from the same job but it fails and seems to be issue between SBS 2008 and Backup Exec 12.5.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess, you want to fit in the Data backup & the Exchange backups on a single tape...this can be achieved by setting appropriate append protection & overwrite protection media properties (provided the tape capacity can fit in both backups)

NateSymanAd1
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I currently have the Data to Overwirte media when this job begins and have the Exchange backup set to Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

NateSymanAd1
Level 3
Partner Accredited

What would the appropriate settings?  The current settings I have set don't seem to work.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You would need to specify OVERWRITE for the first job an APPEND for the second job.  Be sure to specify the same media set, and have an APP long enough to allow for the APPEND

Also from Tools\Options\Media Management make sure you have set the Global Overwrite settings to either Partial or Full.  DO NOT select None.

NateSymanAd1
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have the first to overwrite and the second to append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

I have the Global Overwrite to Partial.

The total media capacity is 372.5GB and I'm using between both below 300GB.

NateSymanAd1
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The media set properties I have set to 0 hours for Overwirte protection period and 0 hours for append period.

NateSymanAd1
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Maybe I should have the Overwrite set to 5 hours or something.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Set the OPP to however long you want to keep the data.  IE for a daily you might want to re-use the same tape every Tuesday for example. so set the OPP to 6 days  You might keep weeklies for 27 days etc

But you need to set the APP long enough so that the second job starts within the APP period.  That is if the first job normaly finished in 2 hours, set the APP to 3 hours for example.  With an APP of 0 hours, you cannot append to the tape at all