cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to BE 2012 by fresh install

capriguy84
Level 3

Hi,

We are currently running BE2010R3 on a server 2003 machine and are upgrading all our servers to 2008R2. We got our licenses renewed to BE2012 in April this year.

When I installed BE2012 on new machine, even though I applied proper licenses it still says Trial version. I understand that renewal license entitles you to upgrade to BE2012, but why does it not allow fresh install?

Do we have to go and buy a BE 2012 install license? I can think of a way to do it by installing BE2010 first and then upgrading, but that is just too UGLY!!!

Can Symantec experts shed some light on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There are basically two types of Licenses. One is the Product license and other is the Maintenance contract license.

So when you import the SLF files does it shows [Maintenance]  like this?

If yes then those licenses that you have are Maintenance license SLF files. You need to speak to Symantec Customer Care and get the product license keys.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you import the SLF files in BE2012 ?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178483

Did you restart the BE services after installing the license files (just to be sure) ?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There are basically two types of Licenses. One is the Product license and other is the Maintenance contract license.

So when you import the SLF files does it shows [Maintenance]  like this?

If yes then those licenses that you have are Maintenance license SLF files. You need to speak to Symantec Customer Care and get the product license keys.

Thanks,

-Sush...

capriguy84
Level 3

I simply entered the serial numbers like before and it did accept it. In the licensing page, i see like below.

Serial Number           Product Name/Description               Qty   End Date

MXXXXXXXXX         (Maintenance) BackupExec 2012      1     4/10/2013

<other agent licenses>

I am going to give them a call! Thanks!