cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent advice please!

edsa
Level 2

Hi, hopefully some of you experts out there can give me some advice on a problem that I have with my backup server.

I have an HP AIO 1200r with a 2 disk RAID 1 array for the operating system (Microsoft 2003 Standard) and backup exec.  The rest of the drives in the chassis are set as RAID 5 for data backup.

The server fails to boot into the operating sytem so I am unable to manage backup exec.  I have tried all the usual methods of operating system repair, but I cannot resolve the problem so I am at the point of considering a reinstall of the operating sytem.  If I reinstalled the operating system and backup exec would I be able to link the existing backup jobs that are still stored on the RAID 5 array back to the fresh install of Backup Exec without the catalogue files?

thanks in advance

Eddie

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If I reinstalled the operating system and backup exec would I be able to link the existing backup jobs that are still stored on the RAID 5 array back to the fresh install of Backup Exec without the catalogue files?

What do you mean by link the existig backup jobs ?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
When you will re-install the OS on your Raid 1 volumes, i am sure you will format those drives. When you will format those drives the Backup Exex DATA and the CATALOGS folder present on those drives will also be wiped out. So you will not be able to get those things back. But after re-installing Backup Exec you can create the Backup to disk folder to point to the same location on Raid 5 volumes as it was before. Then Inventory and catalogging the medias will make all the previous data that was backed up before available for restore. So you will be surely able to restore your data. Thanks, -Sush...

edsa
Level 2

Thanks for the reply Sush - I will give this a bash on Monday when I get back to work.