cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2k3srv SP2 appears to cause tape drive errors

Dean_Colpitts1
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Several of our client locations are setup with WSUS and automatically approve and install windows updates. Last night, some of these sites got Windows 2003 Service Pack 2, and after the restart, the tape drive (all HP LTO Ultrium 1, 2 & or 3 drives) are offline, and BackupExec emails a device error notification.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm just downloading Hotfix 12 to re-apply and see if it helps.

dcc
2 REPLIES 2

Dean_Colpitts1
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I guess I'm answering my own question... Here is what I did to fix it on a 32bit platform.

1.) Opened Device Manager, right clicked the tape drive and selected uninstall.
2.) At the top of the device manager tree, right clicked computer name and selected "Scan for hardware changes"
3.) Device Manager re-add the tape drive as an "other device" with no drivers loaded for it.
4.) Downloaded and applied BackupExec 11d Hotfix 12 - Device Driver Installer (20070215)

Once Hotfix 12 was reinstalled, the tape drive re-appeared under tape drives in device manager, and was once again back online in BackupExec and BackupExec didn't generate any warning messages this time.

dcc

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Dean,
Thanks for the heads up. I applied SP2 this weekend to an x64 server. Instead of uninstalling the driver I just reapplied Hotfix 12 after the update reboot.

It then recognised the library drive properly and everything appears to be working fine.