cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMI Check Warning

bingabong
Level 3

I'm having problems getting Backup Exec 12 to work on a Windows 2000 Server SP4. The pre-install environment check displays a WMI warning 'An error was detected in WMI. This may cause the SQL Express installation to fail..'. I've continued with the install and then find that all but the 'Remote Agent for Windows Systems' Backup Exec services fail to start.

The server previously had Veritas BE 9 installed in the past which i believe was uninstalled prior to BE 12 being installed.

The problems all appear to be linked in some way to SQL. I've tried various database tasks using the beutil tool which all fail.

I've searched the forums for answers to my problems and have read the latest documents, and am now at my wits end.

I've manually uninstalled Symantec and SQL from the server as suggested by one Symantec document but still have the same issues.

If someone could offer me some advise on how to resolve this i would be ever so grateful.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything or provide extracts from the bkupinst log file.

3 REPLIES 3

Steveo
Level 3

Hiya Bingabong,

I am having the same issue as you but dealing with Backup exec 11d not 12.

Just wondering ifyou have resolved this issue in any way.??

-I've tried running the WMI utility from microsoft and it says successfull, but BE still doesnt install.

-I've tried to install MDAC 2.8 and SQL server 2005 before hand to no avail

Please do use {Removed to prevent spam} if you'd like to write back, I'd like to know if you got round the issue and how you got round the issue.

Steve

Message Edited by IanSee on 01-19-2009 12:18 PM

James_Poole
Level 3
If you got the app installed, the WMI check is probably not related to this problem.  Is anything written to the logs when the services fail to start?

Steveo
Level 3

I have installed .net framwork and MDAC 2.8 then a windows update after installed win2k SP4.

Then an installation of SQL 2005 first from BE 11d CD.

Then I ran WMI utility and it came back saying success.

I then installed BE 11d, only thing is the services dont start on startup and I have to start them manually. This is only the fisrt time i have done the setup so it may not work again!!

Did you go through the same install process.