cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we use tracer utility for backup exec 2010 R2 also?

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi,

When I searched with techincal documentation about the hardware compression test utility in Symantec, I found SCSI Tracer Utility.

I tried to findout the .exe file in the location they mentioned i.e "c:\programfiles\symantec\backup exec folder". But I could only find "live update folder". there is no Backup Exec Folder.

We are using Backup Exec 2010 R2 version. How can I get that tool? Is there any other tools available to test my hardware compression?

Regards,

Ram.

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Works for all versions...(11d onwards)....C:\ is the default location...You might have the software installed on a different drive than C:\  ....better still attempt a windows search for this file...

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi,

I just created a job with 2 GB of data and ran the job on an empty tape.

The compression test results shown as 1:1 when compression setting put as Hardware (if available, otherwise none). The same job run with setting like Hardware( if available, otherwise Software). Now the compression ratio shown as 72.7:1

Later I tested using Tacer Utlity and I got the followig result.

Mode Select 7th bit as 40.

Modes Sense 7th bit as 00. By this I consider the compression is truned off.

But when I tested with HP tools, it is showing that hardware compression is working fine.

How to enable this hardware compression in Backup Exec?

Regards,

Ram.

VJware
Level 6

Within BE, the only way to enable hardware compression is via http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22784  & also choosing hardware compression from within the job...

If the above steps are already being followed & still no hardware compression, prolly best to debug further or simply use software compression....

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi VJware,

The above steps are already followed.

I checked with HP tools about the hardware compression and the result shown in that as 2.3:1.

Our Tape drive capacity is 154GB. When try to run the full backup our data getting crossed more than 154GB and we highly need compression to get complete backup the data.

My idea is when I selected option "Hardware(if available, otherwise software)" it automatically do compression with software when the hardware is not available. But even with that setting also I am getting compression ratio as 1:1 or 1.6:1 only.

If I try with Software option at compression settings does it usefull to get more compression?

Regards,

Ram.

VJware
Level 6

What kind of data is being backed up & thereby being compressed ? For egs, encrypted data, zipped files, media files (such as audio,video, image files etc) would compress poorly...

again, quite rare to achieve the compression rate obtained from the HP test...try zipping the data to be backed up & check what sort of compression you are getting, you would not get the same rate & would get a lower rate, though gives a rough idea on what to expect...

Rk_Freak
Level 4

I know that we do not get full compression as HP guys promissed.

But at least 75% if we get that is enough for our job.

When I used Tracer Utility why it has shown the compression is disabled when all other settings are configured properly? Are there any thing I can do from backup exec to get postive result from Tracer Utlity.

Thanks,

Ram.