cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating DB2 Database Instance's within the Cluster

neilECM
Level 3
Environment: Linux Redhat 5, Veritas Cluster 5.x
Two node cluster, with IBM DB2 9.5 installed on each.

On node A, the database owner/user (db2inst1) and instance has been created successfully. Instance was created on shared storage - /home/db2LS/db2inst1
Before creating the instance, I did make sure the file system containing the home directory (/home/db2LS) was mounted on node A.

On node B, I created the database owner/user (db2inst1) with the useradd command.

I am unsure if on node B I need to create the database instance again (db2inst1) so DB2 on node B is aware of this instance?
The documentation isn't too clear on this.

I did try to create the instance as a test on node B, but was unsuccessful:
[root@dedussv-dmsp08 instance]# ./db2icrt -a server -s ese -u db2fenc1 db2inst1
DBI1082E  The file or directory /home/db2LS/db2inst1/sqllib already exists.

Explanation:

A file or directory that the command needs to create already exists.

If it is needed, how can I work around this since it already exists?

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

M__Braun
Level 5
Employee

neilECM
Level 3
The previous poster indicated he moved the location of the database instance instance to shared storage, however db2 documentation indicates the location of a database instance cannot be moved after being created.

If this is true and db2inst1 already exists on shared storage after being created on node A, how can I on node B now create db2inst1 since db2inst1 already exists on shared storage?

I assume the step of creating the instance on node B is necassary so metadata about the instance is registered on node B? The veritas documentation doesn't really state whether or not this is true.

M__Braun
Level 5
Employee

I received the following feedback from our Engineering:

"Usually you only need to create the instance once on the shared disk and this instance can be shared by the cluster. This was true a few years ago.
Recently the new versions of DB2 starts to save something in the local directory and this may cause some problem on the other node because those local files were not there in the second node. So DB2 thinks the instance has not been created on the second node even the instance is already in the shared disk. If this is the case, just removed the instance from the shared disk and create the instance again on the second node and it should resolve this problem."

I hope this helps.

Regards

Manuel