Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GCO and replication

Tomislav
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi!

I have two veritas clusters (storage foundation 4.3 HA for Windows) with GCO options. For replication between them I use VVR. The problem is that on second cluster which is on disaster recovery site I have packet loss on network adapter over which replication occurs. On that cluster node I have second network adapter which is connected on the same network segment but on different network switch so I tried to configure that replication occurs over that second network adapter and I changed on NIC and IP cluster resources MAC address but when I look on network utilization tab it seems that replication still occurs over the first network adapter.
What I'm missing? How to change network adapter for replication? Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Tomislav
3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Gao
Level 4
Hi Tom,

When you setup VVR,  even you specified hostname, the vvr will still record the ip address and replicate data with the real ip, rather than the hostname.

You have to change the ip with vradmin.

Pls check link with vxprint carefully.

Cheers,
Eric

Tomislav
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi!

I solved the problem by disconnecting network cable from old network adapter. After that all replication traffic is going through new network adapter.

Now I have other problem but I don't understand what is wrong. :(
When I look in the Veritas Enterprise administrator in the replication network tree everything is green and every replication status is active but on one RDS tree secondary RVG icon have green arrow and red line but as I sad replication status is green and active. On any other RDS everything is fine.

The output of vxprint for that RVG is:

Rvg : iesql_rvg
state : state=ACTIVE kernel=ENABLED
assoc : datavols=\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\IESQL_DG\IESQL_DATA_FILES,\Devic
e\HarddiskDmVolumes\IESQL_DG\IESQL_REGREP_VOL,\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\IESQL_DG
\IESQL_DB1_VOL,\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\IESQL_DG\IESQL_DB1_LOG
srl=\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\IESQL_DG\IESQL_REPLOG
rlinks=rlk_192_32189
att : rlinks=rlk_192_32189
checkpoint :
flags : secondary enabled attached clustered

Rlink : rlk_192_32189
info : timeout=15 packet_size=1400
latency_high_mark=10000 latency_low_mark=9950
bandwidth_limit=70000
state : state=FAIL
synchronous=off latencyprot=off srlprot=autodcm
assoc : rvg=iesql_rvg
remote_host=192.168.3.61
remote_dg=IESQL_DG
remote_rlink=rlk_192_3396
local_host=192.168.3.62
protocol : UDP/IP
flags : write attached consistent connected

I really don't understand what is wrong so any help would be appreciated.

rhanley
Level 4
Hi Tom,
    It may be best to contact Support directly to assist you in troubleshooting this issue as it is probably not something that will be easy to work out over a forum.

A couple of things though....

1. Are you on MP2 for 4.3 HA? If not, it is highly recommended to upgrade, especially since MP2 needs to be in place to apply the TechAlert private fix which also needs to be applied to avoid a potential data loss situation. You can review and download the private fix here: http://library.veritas.com/docs/311479

You can check in Add/Remove Programs to see if you see the Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows Maintenance Pack 2 entry to confirm MP2 is applied. To see if the TechAlert fix is applied, you can check the version of \Windows\System32\drivers\vxio.sys. The version installed by the fix is 4.3.2041.359. If you are running anything earlier than that version, you will want to apply this.

2. After applying this, it is necessary to force a full resynch of the data unfortunately. However, this alone may resolve the issue and allow replication to complete successfully. Normally when the secondary RVG shows a red mark on it, it's caused by an issue with the Replicator Log (SRL) on the secondary. To correct this, you can simply disassociate the Replicator Log on the secondary and reassociate it. This is done by expanding the Secondary RVG in Replication Network and selecing the Replicator Log volume and choosing to disassociate it. After that is done, simply click on the actual Secondary RVG and choose to associate the Replicator Log. The following technote describes this in more detail: http://support.veritas.com/docs/302943.

I hope this helps and isn't too late to assist you.

Cheers,
rjhanley