cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS WARNING V-16-1-10150 Group cannot be frozen when it is transitioning in the cluster

lineesh2009
Level 3

VCS is not allowing me to freeze one SG when it was in starting stage.

I was able to do the same in VCS4.1 version. In VCS5.1 it is not allowing.

I used to do the freezing in VCS4.1 for mouting the filesystems and IP so that in case any issue with application startup, we can check the logs in the filesystem and if required we can restart the application process manually. This is not allowing in VCS5.1 version.

I am gettign below warning when i am issueing a freeze command.

VCS WARNING V-16-1-10150 Group cannot be frozen when it is transitioning in the cluster

Is there any way we can freeze the SG when it is in transition?

Regds,

Lineesh.NM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you Flush a service group while going online, it will simply stop the online process. You can then manually online resources one by one.

There are other ways to prevent failover due to resource failure during startup, e.g:

* Create pre-online triggers to check status on remote hosts

* Prevent auto-online completely - make AutoStart 0

* Take Critical status off resource(s)

* Set ManageFaults to NONE

All of the above is explained in VCS Admin Guide: https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.1/solaris/pdf/vcs_admin.pdf

I am surprised that VCS 4.1 allowed freezing during sg online - it is a 'feature' that (IMHO) should not have been possible in the first place and probably the reason why it was 'fixed' in 5.1. (This is my own opinion that might be better explained by a VCS product manager.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

I find it strange that you need to go to this extream every time the service group goes online... The whole idea with VCS is to automate the process. What happens if you are not there to 'babysit' the process? Maybe look at increasing online timeout on resources that do not always come online first time?

If you really need to stop the online process, look at flushing the service group. It will stop the online process.

Extract from VCS admin guide:

If the online or offline operation hangs on a particular resource, flush the service group to halt the operation on the resources waiting to go online or offline. Flushing a service group typically leaves the cluster in a partial state. After completing this process, resolve the
issue with the particular resource (if necessary) and proceed with starting or stopping the service group.

lineesh2009
Level 3

Hi,

The application has more dependancies with services running on other servers which is not part of this cluster. So the startup issues can be occured due to veriety of reasons. Not only due to timeout. So my idea is to mount the filesystem which holds the logs of the application so that application team can investigate the cause of the issue and can solve the cause and then we can start the service either manually or through cluster.

I used to do this on VCS4.1 by just bring the SG online and once it mounted the Filesystem and IP, i can just freeze the SG. so that application team can do the troubleshoot of application. (just two commands)

This case i mounted the FS and IP manually since i am not able to freeze SG in VCS5.1 when it was in starting statge.

I am not sure how flushing will work in this case.

Marianne
Level 6

If you Flush a service group while going online, it will simply stop the online process. You can then manually online resources one by one.

There are other ways to prevent failover due to resource failure during startup, e.g:

* Create pre-online triggers to check status on remote hosts

* Prevent auto-online completely - make AutoStart 0

* Take Critical status off resource(s)

* Set ManageFaults to NONE

All of the above is explained in VCS Admin Guide: https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.1/solaris/pdf/vcs_admin.pdf

I am surprised that VCS 4.1 allowed freezing during sg online - it is a 'feature' that (IMHO) should not have been possible in the first place and probably the reason why it was 'fixed' in 5.1. (This is my own opinion that might be better explained by a VCS product manager.)

lineesh2009
Level 3

Flushing when SG is going online works for me.

Thank you for the great help.