We have this customer who has an issue with the notification alerts. Long story short, we were able to reproduce this bug (which dates back to 2009 since I found http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71391 with exactly the same workaround as http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH215522 and http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200949) in our lab.
Lab and Customer environment as follows:
We have done the following:
In this scenario, notifications comes according to TECH71391 / TECH 215522 / TECH200949. We followed the articles to the letter with no success.
We did a rollback and done the following:
Again, no success. Alert notifications are still coming exactly as the above scenario.
Downgrading to x86 is not an option because the solution will be coexisting with other applications.
Please let us know about your experience. Out customer and us are deeply concerned about this bug / defect being discovered / identified in 2009 and still haven't found a way to fix it permanently.
I would recommend you to log a formal support case for us to investigate your issue further as mostly creating the registry keys always help.
We believe this has been resolved in the next release of DLO (which is 7.6 and currently in the Beta phase open for our customers)
Here is the link for the 7.6 blog - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/symantec-dlo-76-beta-windows-mac