cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived emails cannot be viewed via Mac Client Add-on ...

RVD
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

I am figuring out how to open archived items from an Exchange (v2010) mailbox which is accessed via Office 2011 on a Mac Client.

Mac OS = OS X v10.6.8

Office = Office for Mac 2011 v14.1.0

Mac EV client add-on = EV  v10.0.1

I read the instructions in the implemenation guide, installed the EV Mac add-on, ...

Installation went fine, EV toolbar and menu bar is visible, Logon EV is OK, ...but :

When I click on an archived mail in the Outlook client, the 'EV shortcut' content via the preview pane is correctly shown (configured EV banner is visible). OK for me ...

When I dubble-click the mail a new window opens showing the EV shortcut content. OK for me ...

But when I select the mail and try to 'view' the item via the EV toolbar button or EV menu bar, the entire mail content is not retrieved and only the shortcut content is shown.

I should expect (according to the manuals) that the entire email content should be retieved here, not?

Am I doing something wrong here? Because there is not much that can be configured here, I assume ...

Thanks,

Rudy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RVD
Level 5
Partner

Thanks for the reply!

In the mean time, I found a solution for my 'view' item problem on the Mac:

Apparently there is an 'advanced' setting in the Mailbox policy that sets "Shortcut sync for mail clients" which controls whether EV shortcuts "are synchronised to a simple mail client's cache".

By default this is set to "Off".

If a MAC client is introduced to the EV environment after items have already been archived, the special headers may not be in the email archive header.

EXCERPT FROM: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH181247&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1339760575402TECH181247 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Message Headers

To embed the special message headers in the archive object, the following Mailbox Policy setting must be set: Exchange Mailbox Policy -> Advanced -> Archiving General -> Shortcut sync for mail clients

Note: Changing this policy will only affect newly archived email items. In order for this to affect previously archived items, a complete “restore to original location” and re-archive of all the items will need to be done. This is server and time intensive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing this setting to "On" solved my 'view' problem.

... Although, also read following article TECH189927 ...

cheers,

Rudy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you open the Mac Console, do you see any outputs or any errors being displayed when talking to the Web server at all? what happens if you try and open the items through http://yourEVServer/EnterpriseVault/Search.asp ?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

RVD
Level 5
Partner

Thanks for the reply!

In the mean time, I found a solution for my 'view' item problem on the Mac:

Apparently there is an 'advanced' setting in the Mailbox policy that sets "Shortcut sync for mail clients" which controls whether EV shortcuts "are synchronised to a simple mail client's cache".

By default this is set to "Off".

If a MAC client is introduced to the EV environment after items have already been archived, the special headers may not be in the email archive header.

EXCERPT FROM: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH181247&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1339760575402TECH181247 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Message Headers

To embed the special message headers in the archive object, the following Mailbox Policy setting must be set: Exchange Mailbox Policy -> Advanced -> Archiving General -> Shortcut sync for mail clients

Note: Changing this policy will only affect newly archived email items. In order for this to affect previously archived items, a complete “restore to original location” and re-archive of all the items will need to be done. This is server and time intensive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing this setting to "On" solved my 'view' problem.

... Although, also read following article TECH189927 ...

cheers,

Rudy