cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching archived items to an email

charles-k
Level 5
Hi, I'm running EV 8.0 SP3.  When a user creates a new email, attaches some of his archived emails to it, then sends it, the recipient receives the attached items as shortcuts and therefore cannot open the attached items, because he doesn't have permission to the sender's vault.  Is there a way to change this so that when archived items are attached to an email, the full items are restored and attached to the email, allowing the recipient to open them?  Thanks in advance.

Charles
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymcMarj
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Charles-K

That is actually expected behavior. This technote references similar behavior when attempting to forward multiple shortcuts as well. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286850.htm

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SymcMarj
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Charles-K

That is actually expected behavior. This technote references similar behavior when attempting to forward multiple shortcuts as well. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286850.htm

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

If you use the forward button on the toolbar I believe EV will forward full emails not shortcuts. However the right click forward function will not

charles-k
Level 5
M A,

Thanks for your reply.  If this is expected behavior, I'd like to request a future enhancement to control this behavior.  There are times when you want to compose and send a new message with archived messages attached to it.  Granting the recipient permission to the sender's vault to be able to read a few attached shortcuts seems like overkill; it would make more sense for EV to restore the full item when it's attached to the new message.   I realize the workaround is to just forward the archived items, but that would require you to send mulitple messages -- the new message stating you're about to send other emails, then those archived emails that you just referred to.  Is this a big deal?  To me, No.  To my users, a resounding Yes!

Charles 

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Also this is a use case that Virtual Vault helps with.  Those items would be attached as normal items and not shortcuts so you should seriously take a look at that.  it's a common issue, so you are not alone

mike

charles-k
Level 5
Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  I realize that this wouldn't be an issue if using the Virtual Vault.  However, not all of my users have Virtual Vault because not all of them are running Outlook in cached mode.  So it would still be nice if EV can be configured to restore archived items when they're sent as attachments.  Thanks.

Charles

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I think this has been looked at a few times but the answer comes back to the fact that the Outlook Add-In for EV just simply cannot intercept the Events triggered when moving items in to a message (read: its a limitation of outlook)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146