cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with the EV critical error ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hello All,

I am new to the EV world that is why I ask this question in this topic, the following error message is what I've found following the problem in my Exchange Server mailbox database partition build up:

• There are 20667 savesets that have not yet been backed up or replicated for Vault Store 'Vaultstore1'. 
  •  There is a build-up of savesets that Enterprise Vault cannot confirm have been backed up or replicated.

Example symptoms: archive-pending items remain in mailboxes, leading to calls to your Help Desk from users; store sizes do not decrease, even though items have been archived.

There may be a problem with backups or replication. 

From the Exchange Server 2007, the backup is all went fine (no transaction log build up) and also the CCR replication is working fine, buthow come EV failed by itself here ?

Thanks,

DG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It's very important that you have consistant backups. Again, I strongly recommend you read the section in the admin guide about it.

If your vault store partitions are on VMDK files mounted in your VM, backing the VM to tape won't set the archive bit so you'll have to use a trigger file. Page 60 of the admin guide talks about it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB

Dushan,

It's alerting you that you need to backup your Enterprise Vault Store(s). It is not on the Exchange side and does not have to do with your CCR replication. If your backup method for EV does not use the archive attribute then you'll need to use a trigger file.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

ok, here's my understanding for this problem:

The EV server must be able to archive the Exchange Server 2007 mailbox so that the databasesize in my Exchange mailbox server can be reduced, therefore If the EV server not gets backed up (in which I do not know how and where to do it?) then it will not archive the Exchange server 2007 mailbox thus the Mailbox Database builds up ? 

AndrewB

EV will continue to archive from Exchange and you will continue to get this warning/alert until your EV vault stores have been backed up. Do you have a daily backup configured (netbackup, commvault, TSM, etc) to backup your sql databases, EV indexes, and EV vault stores? It is also critical that EV is in backup mode (read-only) during the backup to ensure consistency.

There's an entire section in the admin guide dedicated to backing up Enterprise Vault.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

ah, OK so in this case when I look on the EV console (8.0 SP4) I couldn't find any button or command in right click to do the backup of the current VaultStore ? 

AndrewB

You'll need a 3rd party tool such as one of the ones I suggested in my previous post to backup your systems.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

oh yes for sure Andrew, I have 3rd party tool which backup my EV 8 as VM into tape drive, so cmiiw, If I do backup the EV server using this 3rd party VSS aware backup solution, does this means my problem will be solved ?

AndrewB

It's very important that you have consistant backups. Again, I strongly recommend you read the section in the admin guide about it.

If your vault store partitions are on VMDK files mounted in your VM, backing the VM to tape won't set the archive bit so you'll have to use a trigger file. Page 60 of the admin guide talks about it.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

ah yes, let me download that guide and have beter understanding in the terms.

AndrewB

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=50996&channel=DOCUMENTATION

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

wow thanks man !

I really appreciate your efforts in helping me here.