cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not get a MAPI session from the session pool... Journaling Service Pr

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
Hi all,
I have 3 Journaling Services running on the Vault Server. 2 Journaling Services work fine (knock on wood), but 1 Journaling Services does not grab messages from the journaling mailbox posting 'Could not get a MAPI session from the session pool' message every 5 min
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Victor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
Hi all,
I opened that thread and I feel appropriate for me to close it... :)
My planned worked... We installed the Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 NO SP1 Server in the remote site and configured Journaling Service for mailbox on that server and it WORKS...
Thanks to everyone for sticking around...
-Victor

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
In the JournalServiceEntry table in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, try changing the system mailbox from the exchange alias to SMTP:. Then restart journal service.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Victor,

you need to do what Matt says if you have EV mailboxes with similar names.

another reason might be you are out of resources (MAPI leaks) and rebooting sorts that (although not a very good long term plan).

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
Thank you for your response...
The problem: I already checked and changed the System Mailbox and also restarted the server multiple times...
Any other ideas?
Thanks again,
Victor

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Any MAPI error the first thing to do is to try to connect to the problem mailbox using the main EV administration account. Log on to the EV server as this account, run Outlook and set up a brand new profile with the problem mailbox as the primary.

When you changed the mailbox did you change it on all the services that use MAPI (archivng, retrieval and journallin) specifically in the SQL database?

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
Thanks A LOT, David...
It was extremely helpful...
Turns out that I can't log in to the KVS system mailbox through Outlook, even though I can log in to the Journaling mailbox without any issues... I reviewed permissions on those 2 mailboxes/accounts and they look exactly the same... What would you recommend as the fastest fix of the problem?
I don't have Archiving and Retrieval Services against that Exchange Server...
Thanks again,
Victor

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
You could create a new mailbox for EV to use as a system mailbox.

Archiving and Retrieval services are not required if the Exchange server is only being used for journaling.

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
Thank you, Matthew...
Are you suggesting re-creating the Journaling Service? I could not find the place to change the system mailbox (if I create a new one)...
Is it the simplest way?
Thanks again,
Victor

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
create a new mailbox, verify connectivity within Outlook and then update the system mailbox column on the table I mentioned earlier. A restart of the journal service should then do the job.

The mailbox is arbitrary, its a requirement of MAPI that a valid endpoint exists on the server you're connecting to.

You won't need to recreate the journal service for that Exchange server.

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
I did what you suggested and still no luck (I even restarted the KVS Server)... Now I can log in to both System mailbox and Journaling Mailbox, but Journaling Service still does not work... Could it be related to installing SP1 for Windows 2003 Server on Exchange Server?
Thanks,
Victor

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
are you still getting the same MAPI session errors? How many MAPI profiles has EV created for the service account?

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
Yes... I'm still getting 2 errors every 5 min:

Source: EV
Category: Journal Service
Event ID: 3231
Description:
Could not get a MAPI session from the session pool
Error:<0x80040115>

and
Source: EV
Category: Journal Service
Event ID: 2216
Description:
Message dispenser will suspend processing for 5 min due to a recoverable error

Also I have 2 profiles "VaultMbxAgent-badserver-..."

Besides that I have
16 profiles "VaultMbxAgent-goodserver1-..."
35 profiles "VaultMbxAgent-oldserver1-..."
1 profile "VaultMbxAgent-oldserver2-..."
11 profiles "VaultMbxAgent-goodserver2-..."

Thanks in advance,
Victor

Aaron_Mears
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Could just be a network problem. Any other network issues or erros in the app log, RPC, Exchange, GC?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q238119&

The error code relates to "MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR"

Also,

How many versions of MAPISVC.INF do you have on the EV server? (Should be one)

How many Outlook profiles? HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\

They should clean up automatically, but maybe you are over the top. With the services stopped (archive, retrieval, public folder, journaling) you can remove the auto-created profiles. Just make sure the services are stopped since they use these profiles (and will make new ones when they start).

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
mapisvc.inf and mapi32.dll need to be the ones that came with Outlook. ( see http://www.udstech.com/whitepapers/wp.tryfirst.pdf )

Normally a typical EV server will have 3 versions... Outlook, ESM and the one that comes with the O/S. You'll see by the sizes of these files that they are very different in nature.

It seems strange that 2 of your journal services do work if this is the problem....
Did you try the SMTP:<> fix?

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
Thanks to everyone for the support...
The Exchange Server my "broken" Journaling Service is running against is in the subsidiary domain and it does seem like everything became broken after the applied SP1 for Windows 2003 Server...
The question is:
Does EV support Windows 2003 Server SP1 on Exchange (long after SP1 got released EV did not support it, but maybe now they support it)?
Do you have any ideas why installing SP1 could broke MAPI network connection between my EV server (Journaling Service) and subsidiary Exchange Server (on Windows 2003 Server SP1)?
Any ideas will be really appreciated...
Thanks,
Victor

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
No known issues with SP1 on the Exchange server, but yes on the vault server.

I know that the old 'send as, receive as' rights need to be explicitly set for the vault service account at the server level in ESM if the O/S of the Exchange server is WIndows 2003, but I don't think that is changed in SP1. (Please check anyway! click on the advanced button in the security tab of the server properties in ESM and add the vault service account with 'send as and recieve as' rights)

Are you sure that SP1 broke it?

Victor_Geyyer
Level 4
No, I'm not sure that SP1 broke it... It's just looking this way: after they upgraded the server to SP1 it stopped working...
:(
Permissions are fine...
Thanks,
Victor

Brian_Spooner
Level 5
One other thing you might check.... Find the information store where your journaling mailbox lives...is journaling enabled in Exchange for that store? That can be a big problem and Microsoft does not recommend it. Basically, the journal mailbox journals itself and cause all kinds of issues. The journal mailbox should reside in it's own info store that does NOT have journaling enabled on it.

This caused us quite a bit of grief and making these changes fixed them for us.

-Brian

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Stuff on MAPI versions in "Try this 1st" White Paper on www.UDStech.com.

You need to make sure you can open the EV mailbox that is on the Journal server and the Journal mailbox itself using Outlook on the EV server whilst logged in as the Service Account. Create new profiles for both these mailboxe. Don;t open them as secondaries of use File -- Open Other Users Folder.

Not 100% sure you have done this and it's an important step b4 we start fannying around with other stuff. If you have, forgive me for being a pedant :)

When you create he new MAPI profiles use the alias name of the mailbox to generate the profile. If Outlook prompts you to make a mailbox choice then this tells you to use the SMTP:mailboxessmtp@address.com format in the SQL on all the services. If not it's not needed but still good practice.

Could be perms in the sub-domain OU - the above will check this for you (amongst other stuff).

Still unclear as to what's happened. It worked but then it stopped when someone W2k3 SP1'd the Exc server? Not seen that 1 b4....?!?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Vault System Mailbox on that server hasn't been hidden has it?