cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Departing users that wish to leave certain email for their department

racalvert
Level 2

Hi all...

I really couldn't find much about this subject... probably because I just didn't use the right search terms.

Anyway, I would really like to hear how you all handle this particular situation with Enterprise Vault in the mix.

Here's my situation...

User A is leaving the company and wishes to leave certain emails behind for their department or replacement.  Historically, they would create a new PST, drag/drop the items or folders to it, and give it to the appropriate user(s).  Now that we have implemented EV and migrated all PST's (eliminating the user's ability to create or copy PST's to their home drives and department shares) this process is broken.

I considered simply giving the necessary users access to the user's archive, which is definitely desired from a technical perspective as it appears to be the easiest and simplest solution.  However, we don't want to give access to ALL email, just the certain ones designated by User A.  I could attempt to purge the archive of everything but the target email, but that could be a clumsy process depending on how the user has structured their data.   (side note:  we only use EV for PST elimination and purging archived email is a completely valid option for us).

I also considered having User A organize the target email into a single folder, export it to PST, then import it into the target users mailbox (or department shared mailbox).  This isn't my favorite choice as it may require more Exchange mailboxes to be created.

I am sure I'm missing the obvious elegant solution here... any tips or tricks you have learned would be most appreciated.

-Alan

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

how about have them create seperate folders and then delegate access to each folder

So you could have

\inbox\UserA <--- delegate UserA to have full access
\inbox\UserB <--- delegate UserB to have full access
\inbox\UserC <--- delegate UserC to have full access

Then have the user move their items to those particular folders, making sure that update shortcut locations (moved items) is enabled for the user and such, then sync and then run the shortcut processing task against them

Then that way the user can connect to the exchange mailbox and the directory, be able to open up shortcuts, or when they use search they will only see results from that particular directory that they have access to

If you are deleting the end users exchange mailbox or archive though, you would have to do a more manual process through the Vault Admin Console, so do the above process, then export per directory and then you could import the resulting PST in to the other users mailbox

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you are on EV8, have the user move the shortcuts of the mails to be shared to a specific folder in his archive.

Have ev8 update the shortcut location. (Moved Items tab in the mailbox policy)

Export that specific folder to a pst, then import the pst to the required user(s) mailboxes

Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6

Or you could go the route of having all e-mail in one certain folder, export it to PST, and then import it into a (department) shared archive. This way you would not need to have the Exchange Mailbox, but users would need to search for the mails in the EV search.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You could also enable the "export to PST" option in search.asp, and then perform a search (to get the relevant emails) and export just that to PST.

Working for cloudficient.com

JesusWept3
Level 6

Well for the Export to PST option the user would have to have permission to get the PST files off of the EV server (so i suppose you could set up a share) and that would definitely be an option as long as you have less than 750 items.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

To toss in my $0.02,

When we have this instance, we have the user sort the mail into folders based on who's going to get access to what, i.e. specific users, or a group.

Then I do a destructive export to a PST, specifying as the root folder each one to be created.

For individual users, I then import that data into their particular archive.

For group access, I create a shared archive and import the data into that.

If the user isn't leaving, just moving to a new role, you of course have the option to not destructively export and leave UserA with a copy as well. However, in most instances, I've found that the departing user is glad to be relieved of that data!

Cheers,

Mark