cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9 Indexing sizing query..

Maxie_Braggs
Level 4

Team,

Need your valuble inputs once again for my below query.

What will be the Indexing space required for EV vault store partition size of 50TB, considering full indexing.

Best regards,

Maxie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Wait...   no!

50 TB of uncompressed data... (so 50 TB worth of e-mail/data before it reaches EV)

EV compresses it and does single instance, so your 50 TB physical EV space might get to 200 TB "uncompressed" space.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Brief
3%
Metadata and single word search

Medium
8%
Single word search of metadata, body and attachments

Full
12%
Phrase (i.e. “Enterprise Vault server” “kVault Software”) or Boolean search of metadata, body and attachments

This is based on uncompressed size of stuff prior to archiving. White paper here on v7 and 7.5 but it remains true on 8 afaik.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/enterprise-vault-7-and-enterprise-vault-2007-indexing-v2.pdf

MichelZ
Level 6

Yes, this still holds true for EV8, you can see it on Page 26 in the Install & Config guide for EV8.

ftp://ftp.entsupport.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/317266.pdf

Maxie_Braggs
Level 4

thanks guys,

So you mean to say for a vault store partition of 50TB If i consider full text indexing then I need 5TB of Indexing space..is that right?

MichelZ
Level 6

6 TB ;)

Yes

MichelZ
Level 6

Wait...   no!

50 TB of uncompressed data... (so 50 TB worth of e-mail/data before it reaches EV)

EV compresses it and does single instance, so your 50 TB physical EV space might get to 200 TB "uncompressed" space.

Cheers

Maxie_Braggs
Level 4

So the consideration is "uncompressed data" so if i take 50TB of Compressed data(data on the EV partition)..how i need to calculate

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Try this, not sure where I acquired it from but it was probably here:

SELECT COUNT(*) AS 'Number of Items', MIN(ArchivedDate) as 'Date From', MAX (ArchivedDate) AS 'Date to', SUM(ItemSize)/1024 AS 'Saveset Size (MB)', SUM(OriginalSize)/1024/1024 AS 'Orignal Size (MB)'
FROM Saveset INNER JOIN SavesetProperty ON Saveset.SavesetIdentity = SavesetProperty.SavesetIdentity WHERE ArchivedDate >'2008-03-04 22:00'
AND ArchivedDate < '2000-03-05 6:00'
If you have many databases to query you can use the USE command in SQL to specify each of the databases
USE database 2
SELECT COUNT(*) AS 'Number of Items', MIN(ArchivedDate) as 'Date From', MAX (ArchivedDate) AS 'Date to', SUM(ItemSize)/1024 AS 'Saveset Size (MB)', SUM(OriginalSize)/1024/1024 AS 'Orignal Size (MB)'
FROM Saveset INNER JOIN SavesetProperty ON Saveset.SavesetIdentity = SavesetProperty.SavesetIdentity WHERE ArchivedDate >'2008-03-04 22:00'

UNION

USE database 2
This will query all the database and then UNION the results into one output

Maxie_Braggs
Level 4

@all above,Thanks a lot for the help..

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Whack a solution flag somewhere on the post you feel answered the question then please

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

If you are referring to 50TB before archiving then you'll need ~6.1TB for Indexes  (email arching).

If you are referring to 50TB Vault Store partition size (after archiving) then you'll need ~12.8TB for the indexes (email archiving).

Where did the 50TB size come from?  Do you know how much pre-archived data there is.  Also, we've all assumed you meant email archiving.  If this is FSA or SPS the indexs would be smaller.