cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Archiving & Exchange stops processing?

scatcat
Level 3
Partner

Hello,

I am planning to install EV for our exchage2010.
Now I was wondering when EV start archiving emails for example midnight, will  Exchange stop processing its service?

Long before we used veritas EV for exchange and we experienced problems.

Users were not able to send/receiev emails when EV is archiving email.

So I am wondering if EV9 works differently or not.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

No, definitely not. Exchange will not stop processing, this has never been the case, and must have been a glitch in your environment back then.

The only thing that *could* happen is running out of (Exchange) log space while archiving, which would then prevent Exchange from doing it's stuff, but not EV itself shutting down Exchange processing.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi

No, definitely not. Exchange will not stop processing, this has never been the case, and must have been a glitch in your environment back then.

The only thing that *could* happen is running out of (Exchange) log space while archiving, which would then prevent Exchange from doing it's stuff, but not EV itself shutting down Exchange processing.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

scatcat
Level 3
Partner

Hello MichelZ ,

Thank you very  much for your reply!

Constanze
Level 4

You might also get alerts your EV server was utilizing a lot of CPU - that's "normal", it grabs what it gets. If you are using MOM you might like to deal with these alerts during archiving hours in a separate way.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Another thing i saw with a customer a long time ago was the disk queues were causing a lot of issues as well:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/03/14/395229.aspx

"Here’s an example to show how disk latency can add up.  When getting a view, the requests for the data are done in individual, serialized requests from the disk, not bulk operations.  So for example, if a plug-in is getting a view of 1000 items, then the Exchange store will probably make about 200 separate requests for data (assuming about 5 messages are retrieved per request).  At 20 ms, that’s a guaranteed 4 second delay just from the disk subsystem alone!   Imagine if your disk latency was 50ms or 100ms? To make matters worse, if you have multiple plug-ins making similar requests, you may find that your Outlook client is frequently blocked.  Help yourself (and the other users) by keeping disk I/O latency low."

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146