cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV on Nimble Storage - Vault Partition Storage Type?

jberg
Level 3

I found very little on the internet about the signifigance of selecting the proper 'storage type' when creating a vault store partition. I am hoping someone can point me to some decent documentation on the subject.

We have recently moved from NetApp storage over to Nimble, which is a true SAN and not an emulated one like the NetApp FAS series are. Anyone using Nimble for their EV storage? What storage type selection works best with it?

Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided.

-JB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think the best documentation is actually the help file when it comes to specific options in the config. if you look at the admin guides, they generally provide a higher level overview of things.

the partition type is mainly of interest when using a (supported) storage device for which you want to leverage either the device's WORM, dedupe, API, object storage, etc, capabilities. it's very common, such as in your case, to use NTFS as the partition type if you're presenting SAN to the EV servers as "local disks" to the OS, or, if storing your vault store partition data on a NAS via a UNC path, it's common to choose Network Share as the partition type.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB

if it's a SAN and you're presenting the storage to your EV servers as individual drives (with a letter or as a mount point) then i would go with NTFS as the partition type in EV.

jberg
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Can you help explain, or point me to the documentation that explains the significance of choosing the correct storage type? 

AndrewB

i think the best documentation is actually the help file when it comes to specific options in the config. if you look at the admin guides, they generally provide a higher level overview of things.

the partition type is mainly of interest when using a (supported) storage device for which you want to leverage either the device's WORM, dedupe, API, object storage, etc, capabilities. it's very common, such as in your case, to use NTFS as the partition type if you're presenting SAN to the EV servers as "local disks" to the OS, or, if storing your vault store partition data on a NAS via a UNC path, it's common to choose Network Share as the partition type.