cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault for Exchange - Outlook 2010 - Vault cache missing

admingraf11
Level 3

I have a group of users, PC users although not all of them, which do not have the Vault cache on them and i can't find the reason for it.

I have a combination of laptop and pc users.

all have the same EV Outlook client installed on them but for some reason some of them do not have the vault cache on them, neiter the vault cache items on Outlook.

I've checked the KVS folder on these 'faulty' ones and found there is not data on it at all.

Can anybody help me here?

Our system is:

EV for Excahnge 9.0.1, Exchange 2007, Client agent v9.0.9377, Outlook 2010 on windows 7

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

From the log it looks like you may be trying to use the restore button whilst archive explorer is in use inside Outlook.

The restore button on the Outlook ribbon is for use on shortcuts in the mailbox. Unfortunately there is no message displayed to explain why it is not doing anything in this situation.

You can use the right click "Copy to mailbox" menu item to restore a selected set of items when in Archive Explorer.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Maybe you have configured different Desktop Policies in Enterprise Vault for different user-groups ?

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

Maybe the "Offline store required" setting is set to "Yes" in the Desktop policy, advanced tab, Vault Cache section. If this is the case, any users who are not using Outlook in Cache Mode will not get Vault Cache.

Assuming this is the problem, you could either change the policy or get them to use cache mode in Outlook.

admingraf11
Level 3

Hi

thanks for quick reply.

The difference between laptop and dekstop policies was the first thought i had but i can't find any setting relevant to this problem, plus, not all PCs are not having vault cache on them, some do.

The second suggestion: yes it is set to 'Yes", i din't know the meaning of that setting myself but I was configuring cache mode on all desktops certain that it was a requirement for vault cache to work, so it should have worked. If i set this option to "No", will all PC Outlooks need to be taken off cache mode?

admingraf11
Level 3

As a side note, as well as not having this vault cache (neither virtual vault) these machines affected cannot use the restore feature of EV.

You can select an archived item but clicking on 'Restore' does nothing, doesnt' even give you an error message.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are the IE proxy setting maybe different between the 'working' and 'not working' machines ?

If not, please run a client trace, try to do a restore of an archived item and post results.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38096

admingraf11
Level 3

We have no proxy in the office, 

I'll run the trace and post the outcome

admingraf11
Level 3

trace attached

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

please don't post trace files in the body of the post.  It makes the thread a bit difficult to follow.

Attach it to your post.

I have edited your comment and attached as a post for you.

admingraf11
Level 3

i corrected a couple of registry entries which were pointing to a location which doesn't exist and now the vault has appeared, i've pressed the syncnronize button and is on it.

that's great, but the restore problem's still there, i can't restore archived mail.

admingraf11
Level 3

thanks Tony

this is my first post here.

I'll take it onboard for next time

admingraf11
Level 3

BTW

the time in the logs is wrong, it is one hour behind, 

where does it take the time from?, local machine?, ev server?.....

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Time in client log files is always : UTC

See:

http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2012/01/23/a-single-line-of-client-trace/

Working for cloudficient.com

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

RE: If i set this option to "No", will all PC Outlooks need to be taken off cache mode?

If you set to "No" then VaultCache will be available in Outlook regardless of the use or not of Outlook cache mode.

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

From the log it looks like you may be trying to use the restore button whilst archive explorer is in use inside Outlook.

The restore button on the Outlook ribbon is for use on shortcuts in the mailbox. Unfortunately there is no message displayed to explain why it is not doing anything in this situation.

You can use the right click "Copy to mailbox" menu item to restore a selected set of items when in Archive Explorer.

admingraf11
Level 3

Well, you're quite right, I believe i was using the restore button on the wrong place.

I've found that in Archive explorer i can go to a mail and select copy or move and works well.

I don't think this option was there before I got the vault cache, but it is now.

So i have now the vault cache working and synching and the restore option working also,

Thanks very much for your help,

RonnieArrowECSU
Level 3
Partner

Hi Admingraf11

I have exactly same problem as you. what keys did you correct?

Ronnie