cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 PST ingenstion and DB space

pjglick
Level 4

We are about to embark on a project to ingest our pst for archiving into our evault.  Our plan is to import the users PST back into their mailboxes and let the archive policies move it to the archives.  We are no using shortcuts\stubs.  My concern is what the impact will be on our exchange DBs since they will grow and end up with alot of whitespace post archive.  We have been debating whether the move the targeted users to a temdb during their ingestion and then move them back after a few days has gone by.

I am interested in hearing if any others have run into the issue\concern and how they handled it.

Thanks

Paul

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is there any reason you are not importing the PST's directly to the archive and avoiding running it through Exchange?

EV has built in PST tools and in addition we have PST Flightdeck to import the PST's directly to the archive.

I am just curious for your business use case to import them the way you have specified.

pjglick
Level 4

We had attempted the pst ingestions through the built in tools and ran into a lot of errors which support could not provide answers to which made us uncomfortable.  (Ex.  when a pst that was ingested and was suppossed to be deleted, the deletions at times failed and the only message was that there were corrupted messages.  Support could not answer what was corrupted.  It did not alwasy show up as a warning message....We also had a situation where a pst was ingested mutliple times due to failures which left pst folders with names such as PSTFILEA_1, PSTFILEA_2 and PSTFILEA_3, support told us there was no real way to clean that up)

Plus we really wanted to import them all under a folder called Imported PSTs but did not want to list all the file names below that folder from the ingested pst files.