cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Transport Journaling

jbyway
Level 2
Hi There,

Our organisation has a Ex2007 server that has only the CAS/Hub Transport roles. This server acts as our email gateway for all other mailbox servers to route email through. We also have some users that use this server as an SMTP server that then directs internal email to the appropriate server but external emails are then forwarded to our Brightmail appliance.

My problem is that those users who send directly to this Hub Transport server don't appear to be capture by our journaling we have in place. We only have journaling enabled on our mailbox servers using the Journal Recipient option. What options do others use to capture these kinds of emails? It is only those that are sent directly to external recipients that we miss.

I notice that there is a journaling rule that can be enabled on Hub Transport servers but wouldn't want this being enabled for all servers as we already capture most emails.
We only use Ex2007 Standard.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello jbyway

This is more a Microsoft question, but here are my 2cents.

On the hub servers, create a journal rule to journal mails only send to specific users (see http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-Server-2007-Using-Journaling-Rules.html)

There are some more rules. You might want to consider journaling from the hub servers instead of from the maibox servers.

Perhaps you can create a rule that captures mails FROM certain users, but I am not sure on that. I would first check with MS to see what they can offer.
Regards. Gertjan

jbyway
Level 2
Hi Gertjana

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it is about 300 of our stores that connect that way so specific rules won't work I'm afraid there.

Perhaps I will just do a journal rule for all hub transport roles and let SiS handle the multiple emails it will probably generate unless someone else has any ideas.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello jbyway,

For what it is worth, the previous environment I worked in used the same setup you had (journaling from mailboxserver instead of via hubserver) We did not however allow direct smtp connections.

I'd check with Microsoft to see if they have an idea.

Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
As an alternative you can use the SMTP archiving feature in EV to capture all the SMTP traffic and archive it