cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent results / anomalies with Instant Search against Vault / "The store ... detected a catalog checkpoint"

AL_G
Level 4

Hello

I'm seeing numerous "inconsistencies" with search results in OL2010.
e.g. One day it can work fine, another it can stop working or return inconsistent results.

I had an example earlier today where a user could search fine within "current folder" or "sub folders", but if "Search All Mail Items" was selected, then no results  were displayed and Outlook just showed a blank page with the words "Cannot display folder"

Interestingly if I run outlook /safe it works "fine" (albeit no vault content shown as the add-in isn't loaded)

This STRONGLY suggests the issue is vault related (IMHO!)

The event log shows a bunch of events Source: "Outlook" with text as follows:

"The store -location-file- detected a catalog checkpoint"

Example files mention in here are:

c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\enterprisevault\ev17d.tmp

c:\users\username\appdata\local\KVS\Enterprise Vault\....mdc

Quite a while later I've noticed the following:

"Starting reconciliation for the store -location- for the following reason: Indexing was disabled and then re-enabled "

"Reconciliation completed for the following store: -location- Stats: Added: 0, Deleted: 0, Modified: 0, Compared: 134862, Version: 14.0.4760.1000"

After these, search started working again!!!!

These sort of anomalies and "inconsistent behaviour" are just not acceptable for users - search needs to be consistent and reliable

I'd like to know:

- What steps can I take to troubleshoot this sort of issue further?
- What does "detected a catalog checkpoint" actually mean ?
- What does "Starting reconciliation for the store" mean and what is the implciation for indexing?

I have also posted this in a Microsoft forum, but have decided to post here as well as this "may" be Vault specific

Thanks
-AL

Office Version : Office Professional Plus 32bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Really this would be an issue with Microsoft issue and would suggest calling them or opening a case with Symantec and getting them to open a case with Microsoft and see if you can troubleshoot the issue together
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Really this would be an issue with Microsoft issue and would suggest calling them or opening a case with Symantec and getting them to open a case with Microsoft and see if you can troubleshoot the issue together

AL_G
Level 4

Hello

I thought I'd check with "peers" first to see if anyone else is experiancing this before going to the next stage of logging it.

-AL

JesusWept3
Level 6

I'll have a look, i have a similar set up but i dont do searches too much in side of outlook, though i should, i'm pretty sure the only thing the eventvwr ever complains about is new PST files being registered and indexed through the vault cache download