cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More elaborate/informative setup guide for DOmino archiving?

biosphere
Level 4
Partner
Hello,

I'm trying to set up archiving from Lotus Domino Server into Enterprise Vault. Applicable product versions are:

EV: 8.0 SP2
Domino: 8.02

Problem is that  can't really get it working, and find the documentation severly lacking. I've gotten to the point where I can start archiving (provisioning groups and tasks etc have been created and verified), but the archiving task fails due to no configured Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway server. The documentation makes no mention whatsoever of the steps necessary in setting up this gateway server, nor what the EVDG actually is, or the necessary sequence for setting up the various components. I'm _guessing_ that the EVDG is a standalone Domino install on the EV server, but it's hard to tell.

Can someone give me a step-by-step walkthrough on setting up the EVDG ald alternative options for placement (we have a spare Domino server we'd like to use if possible), or point me to any documentation describing this process in a markedly more articulate way than the official Symantec docs?

Cheers
4 REPLIES 4

Maverik
Level 6

It is not really feasible to write out step by step instructions for you unfortunately.  Also if you have no experience setting this up I cannot strongly recommend enough you seek some professional services assistance.  EV is an Enterprise Product and due to the amount of scope it has it can be quite complex. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but I have seen this time and time again and the pain people go though and frustrations they have.

That aside, I have reviewed the documentation and found there is sections it appears on configuring a EVDG on page 36. Is this the document you have seen?

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Enterprise_Vault_for_Lotus_Notes/317276.pdf

biosphere
Level 4
Partner
With all due respect and for the record:

I have worked with EV for years, however primarily archiving from Exchange, Sharepoint and FSA.

I have not worked with archiving for Notes, so I figured that the supplied docs should provide instructions for getting this up and running. This is not the case. I have indeed reviewed the document you're referencing, and just to illustrate the level (or lack thereof) of information supplied:

"

Preparation for Domino mailbox archiving

Before proceeding, ensure that you have done the following:

• Checked that software prerequisites are satisfied.

• Installed and configured Domino server on the Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway computer.

• Installed Enterprise Vault and run the configuration wizard.

See Installing and Configuring for instructions on how to perform these tasks. (there is absolutely no mention of this subject at all in "Installing and configuring", by the way)

Now, the next step is:

Check Enterprise Vault configuration of Domino server

Now you can check the changes made to the Domino server configuration on the Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway.

Do you see the missing link? There is no information on how to perform the actual task of setting up and configuring the actual components.

So, I strongly beg to differ. There should most definitely exist a guide on steps needed to configure this setup. Why shouldn't there be?

Maverik
Level 6

It is not possible to write a set up guide via a Forum post which as I understood from your comment . The guide you have and is all there really is as far as I am aware.  I am not saying the documentation is good enough never having worked though this one myself.  

If you are unhappy with the documentation (which is all there is as far as I am aware for Domino) I suggest you take this up via your Symantec Account Manager who should be able to speak with appropriate persons. However not sure that is then going to address your immeadiate need to get this up and running.

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Biosphere,

Have a look here:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/328439.pdf

Chapter 7 onwards is a step by step guide for setting up the Domino gateway server etc.

This document is included on the media (regardless of version).

It has changed slightly from 2007 though where everything was pretty much in the same document. Now you need to follow the install/config guide first, then the relevant "Setting up X Archiving" guide afterwards.

Cheers,

Frank