Did you mean: 

Move EV partition from one EV server to new EV server in same domain

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Scenario:

EV server 1 : archive exchange 2007 targets, storage of 12 TB

EV server 2 : archive exchange 2013 targets, storage of 2 TB

writing to different storage locations and different SQL servers, also different EV site & directory - BUT - all under same domain.

Customer wants to merge between the two environments.

Final result need to be that all data will be held on the EV server 2 location & SQL.

I am trying to think on a creative way to merge between the environments without using 3rd party tools (not in the customer budget). and use the fact that they are all under the same domain so the use of DNS aliases can be in use here.

other thing I can do (but this will be painful in Exchange storage):
* stop EV exchange 2013 archive - restore back all data to exchange 2013 (that's the 2 TB server)
* remove the exchange 2013 at all from EV server, and add it as a target on the EV server 1 that holds the Exchange 2007 server, create tasks and archive again from it.
* copy all data from partitions of EV server 1 to partition location in new storage, and change the partition entry in SQL as needed.

If you have a creative idea - I would love to hear it.

Sarah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Sarah

Unfortunately, I don't think any "creative ideas" will help you here, as these are separate directories.
The only (supported) way of doing this is to use Move Archive or another Archive Migration utility, or to roll back EV to Exchange as you described, and then Re-Archive on the other EV Server.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Sarah

Unfortunately, I don't think any "creative ideas" will help you here, as these are separate directories.
The only (supported) way of doing this is to use Move Archive or another Archive Migration utility, or to roll back EV to Exchange as you described, and then Re-Archive on the other EV Server.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Michel,

I thought so too, but wanted to see that I'm not missing another option by any chance...

Sarah.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Sarah,

Michel is correct, especially as your customer wants all the data on a different SQL server eventually, all the information needs to be added and updated in the 'new' EV Site in the correct way which means the data needs to be moved correctly according to EV. So this needs to be done by either EV or 3rd Party tools (which arent an option).

Bear in mind that Move Archive was never designed to mass migrate archives, it can do it but be prepared to spend a bit of time on Administration and dealing with 'small' problems that may crop up.

You would be better doing your best to talk your customer into spending a touch more and utilizing one of our partners.

You have probably seen this already but still, have a read if you havent  -  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/new-ev-whitepaper-migration-tools-overview