cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIS configuration issue.

stewrogers
Level 3

Hi

We have taken on an EV install (8 SP3) that has a few configuration issues. This one in particular could be the biggest headache.

We have discovered that the vault store group sharing level is "No Sharing". We have discovered this means essentially that single instance storage is not switched on (the apparent reason for using EV). We also have noted that changes to this setting do not act retrospectively. 

The question is this - if we change the setting to "share within Group" in an attempt to enable SIS, would we be required to re vault all of EV's existing contents or, would an upgrade to version 9 do this for us as part of the upgrade (assuming we have configured the new version for "Share within Group"?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I think what he's trying to establish is size and scope Are we talking GBs, hundreds of GBs, TBs, hundreds of TBs? How many servers and how many users etc all leads to what the bet solution is So it sounds like you are a fairly newish install so hopefully it won't take too much effort However the large enterprises out there journal 2 million items a day, other large enterprises might be archiving 300,000+ mailboxes per day If you have that much data (which it sounds possible based on your reply) you may wish to invest in some 3rd party software that is more established than EV move archive For instance AndrewB does migrations with Transvault Other people on the forum write and support a utility named Archive Shuttle by Glasshouse I myself quite like Move Archve but if you have a huge amount of users it is very time consuming
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6

Yeah it won't retroactively re-share, what you would be best off doing if its an absolute requirement is create a new vault store group and new set of vault stores and then use move archive to move all the items from one vault store to another.

But to do that you would have to upgrade to at least 8 SP4 (but i'd recommend 8 SP5) or wait until after you upgrade to EV9 SP2.

Or you could export each users archive to a PST, delete the archives and re-import, but move archive is the most logical thing to do

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

how many vault stores, archives, and how much data do you have to deal with?

stewrogers
Level 3

A fairly substantial part of an enterprise.....

JesusWept3
Level 6
I think what he's trying to establish is size and scope Are we talking GBs, hundreds of GBs, TBs, hundreds of TBs? How many servers and how many users etc all leads to what the bet solution is So it sounds like you are a fairly newish install so hopefully it won't take too much effort However the large enterprises out there journal 2 million items a day, other large enterprises might be archiving 300,000+ mailboxes per day If you have that much data (which it sounds possible based on your reply) you may wish to invest in some 3rd party software that is more established than EV move archive For instance AndrewB does migrations with Transvault Other people on the forum write and support a utility named Archive Shuttle by Glasshouse I myself quite like Move Archve but if you have a huge amount of users it is very time consuming

AndrewB

yea, it's really all about trying to help you find the right tool for the job. as JW said, move archive is built in with EV8SP4 and above but it's generally not as fast, flexible, and automated as the 3rd party tools. also, if auditing and reporting are important (this data is most commonly archived for legal discovery) then tools such as TransVault have all these features and mechanisms built in.

stewrogers
Level 3

Sorry for being vague. We are talking GBs in a few hundred mailboxes. I think we are going to look into the tools suggested before more mailboxes get added to the Vault!

Thanks for the assistance.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Move archive is definitely the way to go IMO

AndrewB

if it's only GBs of data then yea, go with move archive. if you were talking TBs then we'd have a different conversation.