I am having issues with an Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 server unable to start the "Enterpris Vault Indexing Service". After enabling a "Search and Indexing trace" when starting the service, I found that there is a problem with access, but I am not able to figure out where to set it.
The server was working at 10.0.2, but after the upgrade I am not able to start the indexing. There can also be other changes to the operation system causing this.
Here i a part from the trace:
Solved! Go to Solution.
 (w3wp) <8728> EV:L WinHttpRequest::OnCallback. WINHTTP_CALLBACK_STATUS_HEADERS_AVAILABLE. Status code=401
seems to be that there is an issue with IIS. You shouldn't receive a 401 error (Access denied) from IIS. Check the permissions on IIS virtual directories or service status. Can you post the IIS logs as well?
Do you see any error/warning in system log, specially DCOM related?
Peform IISreset & see if you can start EV indexing service also try recyling EV app pool (EnterpriseVaultAppPool, EVindexingPool) from IIS console.
Reset the Vault Service Account by following the instructions listed below.
The normal error I get when starting the indexing service is Event ID 41293 - Configuration Error.
I have just discovered an error in the Event Log:
You can try :
1. Change the identity in the Application Pools for the EVIndexingPool from the AppPoolIdentity to the Network Service. Run IIS reset and restart the EVIndexingAdminService.
2. Resetting the Enterprise Vault service account password within the Enterprise Vault console:
1. Right click on the Enterprise Vault Directory and select 'Properties'.
2. Click the "Service Account" password.
3. Re-enter the service account password and click "Apply"
4. Click OK and then restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service
If you share full Description of Event ID : 41293 that will help more.
Thanks, but it did not help.
First I get 41395 Warning:
I had a similar issue in one of my lab environments when upgrading to 10.0.3, however this was due to the server previously being 2003 R2 x64 and then upgraded to 2008 R2. (Issues with IIS 6 to 7.5 I think)
Hopefully reseting the Indexing Engine will solve your issue, as this goes through deleting the EVIndexing virtual directory. It may however still give you the error with 'Configuration Error'. We might be able to track down the specific config error.
However if you still come up against the same issue then you might go with a broader approach and uninstall IIS from the EV server, making sure that Windows Process Activation Service is uninstalled after IIS as well (http://forums.iis.net/t/1170286.aspx/1) to ensure that when you re-install IIS it is clean. Make a note of what other virtual directories exist before uninstalling IIS, so that you know what needs to be added back. After the re-install of IIS to recreate the 'EnterpriseVault' virtual directory you would run the following command from the EV installation directory: Configuration.exe ConfigureWebApps install
For EVAnon you would re-run the OWAUser.wsf script, FSAReporting is a different command line parameter.
I have now followed the document resetting the indexing engine, and this worked! I was not sure what to delete in IIS, as there was nothing listed when selecting Virtual Directories in the right pane. But deleting the listed EVIndexing folder and the EVIndexingApp application pool before installing the msi file made this a success!
Thanks a lot for your help.
Gunnar Vinje @ Atea
I followed the solution to reset the indexing engine provided by EV-Counselor, and that made the indexing service healthy again.
Thnaks a lot for your effort in helping out.
Gunnar Vinje @ Atea