cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Cache Sync Failing

Charles_G_Calab
Level 3

A user is reporting that vault cache synchronization is failing. The only thing in the client trace that looks promising is this:

17/05/2011 19:06:20.979[7268]: HDR:SYNC:ARC: Synchronization failed (std::exception):A MDCFolderDeleteFailedContainsMessageException exception occurred: Could not delete folder because it (or a subfolder) contains message(s), EVMSP may have added items to this folder during a MDC sync, PVID: 183488F1B0993FA46A3576552F97016591110000EVSite01

A Google search is silent on 'MDCFolderDeleteFailedContainsMessageException', so I'm looking for ideas/suggestions...

TIA,

Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think what you are seeing is normal expected behavior, it could be that items are sitting in the "EV Dumpster" where it will hang around for 14 items before being hard deleted and what you are seeing is Vault Cache / Virtual Vault just saying it can't delete the folder yet because its not empty yet

That is my best guess though, is the folder hanging around in the Deleted Items? and if you restore it so it stops trying to delete the folder, does the vault cache then sync correctly?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6

I think what you are seeing is normal expected behavior, it could be that items are sitting in the "EV Dumpster" where it will hang around for 14 items before being hard deleted and what you are seeing is Vault Cache / Virtual Vault just saying it can't delete the folder yet because its not empty yet

That is my best guess though, is the folder hanging around in the Deleted Items? and if you restore it so it stops trying to delete the folder, does the vault cache then sync correctly?

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

Is this archive the user's primary mailbox archive or a secondary one i.e. another mailbox archive which this user has been granted access?

If it's a secondary one then does this user have read access to all folders in that archive or have individual folder permissions been set? If the user has been denied access to a branch of the folder hierarchy it is possible that is causing the sync to fail.

Charles_G_Calab
Level 3

Richard, thanks for your reply. The issue is affecting the user's primary archive.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Charles, don't suppose you have any errors on the ev server that whine about ControlFolder permissions do you?

Charles_G_Calab
Level 3

No, Alex, we cleared the Event Log and watched for anything during the sync and not a single error/warning was reported.

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

Hitting any of the EV toolbar buttons in Outlook whilst holding <Ctrl> & <Shift> brings up the EV Diagnostics window.

1/ Try doing a partial reset and then sync again.

2/ If that does not help then a full reset may be required - however you need to be careful if you archive via Virtual Vault and there are items currently pending archive but have not yet been synchronized to the archive because the sync is failing. If there are no pending items and the archive is not huge (or you don't download content) then the next easiest thing to do is to use the Reset button on the EV Diagnostics window. You will then have to restart Outlook and to a fresh sync.

There is another option (deleting the MDC file) that is somewhere between the two above - again you need to be careful about unarchived items, but it does not cause all the archive content to be downloaded again. However it requires some manual steps - I'll explain if 1/ does not work and you cannot do 2/.