cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is a better approach for large pst file (~10GB) import?

daiyoko
Level 4
One approach is the user does the import from client side, but it seems it will take too long for such large file size.
Then, i consider to help the user directly import the file from the server side.

So, which is a better approach or what items i should concern???

If import from server side, please advise me the following settings???

b01.jpg
b02.jpg
b03.jpg
b04.jpg
b05.jpg

Actually, i have  tried to do the import, and one thing i noticed is that the size of abc.pst (used to import) will be changed after the action.
If try again using the same abc.pst, the second import will have only folder structure be imported but not the contents.

Thanks~~

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
 The file size is changed during the import because with the settings you have selected in your screenshot the shortcuts for the imported items are added to the PST file first of all... and then at the end, when ALL of the items are archived in the PST, the shortcuts are moved to the mailbox you specified. 

Yes 10 Gb will take some time to import, but it's a background task right, so if it takes all day, that's fine?  You can test how long it will take by importing a 1 Gb test PST, and timing it... then multiply by 10 (of course).

There is no real limit on the size that you can import.  Enterprise Vault will just keep on ploughing through the PST file.

One thing I wouldn't do.. but it is entirely up to you (governed probably by the CONTEXT of the data in the PST file) is that I wouldn't import it to the root folder, merged.  This'll overly all the things in the PST over the mailbox.  I would "normally" import to a folder called (say) ImportedPST
Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

daiyoko
Level 4
Another thing i want to ask is the import file size limit???
Is there any limit for the file size???

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
 The file size is changed during the import because with the settings you have selected in your screenshot the shortcuts for the imported items are added to the PST file first of all... and then at the end, when ALL of the items are archived in the PST, the shortcuts are moved to the mailbox you specified. 

Yes 10 Gb will take some time to import, but it's a background task right, so if it takes all day, that's fine?  You can test how long it will take by importing a 1 Gb test PST, and timing it... then multiply by 10 (of course).

There is no real limit on the size that you can import.  Enterprise Vault will just keep on ploughing through the PST file.

One thing I wouldn't do.. but it is entirely up to you (governed probably by the CONTEXT of the data in the PST file) is that I wouldn't import it to the root folder, merged.  This'll overly all the things in the PST over the mailbox.  I would "normally" import to a folder called (say) ImportedPST
Working for cloudficient.com