cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows offline files and FSA archiving

roaryT
Level 4

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if the use of windows offline files and synchronisation with files that are archived by EV is now supported.

Whilst I know it works and many people deploy it Symantec used to say that it was unsupported.

Has anyone had confirmation otherwise recently?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6

It does not mention it in the Ev8 Registry guide I just checked, but does not mean it is not entirely true. However in conjunction with the RecallLimitTimeInterval which can be set to 1 this would equate to 100 recalls a second so would that really be so bad? I suspect even if it was set higher the system would probably not be able to recall this or much more anyway. 

One thing to take care with is these settings could possibly have a negative impact on your EV environment.  Lets say 100 users all log on and sync at the same time. The EV server is going to be hit very very hard.  Its the reason these limits are there in the first place, so I would personally take care with just setting these limits to the max.  There is no hard and fast rule so if it was me I would look to increase these gradually whilst monitoring EV server memory and CPU as well as the SQL server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Maverik
Level 6

It is supported but there are some limitations.  See technote below.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58325

roaryT
Level 4

thanks for that was already aware of this limitation and have set the MaxRecall setting accordingly.

What is interesting is the effective value is between 0-100.  I have seen in deplyments this value being set to amounts over 100 which according to the article will lead to the default 20 being used.  Can this be confirmed as 100 seems a little low.

Thanks,

Maverik
Level 6

It does not mention it in the Ev8 Registry guide I just checked, but does not mean it is not entirely true. However in conjunction with the RecallLimitTimeInterval which can be set to 1 this would equate to 100 recalls a second so would that really be so bad? I suspect even if it was set higher the system would probably not be able to recall this or much more anyway. 

One thing to take care with is these settings could possibly have a negative impact on your EV environment.  Lets say 100 users all log on and sync at the same time. The EV server is going to be hit very very hard.  Its the reason these limits are there in the first place, so I would personally take care with just setting these limits to the max.  There is no hard and fast rule so if it was me I would look to increase these gradually whilst monitoring EV server memory and CPU as well as the SQL server.