cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN based tape drive on 5200

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Wish to fibre-channel attach tape library (HP MSL 4048) to 5200 appliance, software level 2.5.3, NetBackup 7.5.0.6

Found this https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-configure-san-based-tape-drive-and-libr-5220-appl... for 5220, is it about the same?

Thanks for any info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Looks OK to me - card are in the right mode (initiator) - only 2 things come to mind...

1. Reboot the appliance and see if it works then

2. As they show as "link down" it may be the old clasic got-ya of the cables being crossed - you could try this one first .. unplug on cable, swap the ports over in the LC clip on the fibre cable and plug it back in to see if one path is then detected - if so do both!

Also make sure that the drives are part of the library partition so that they are actually initiated (check for lights on the tape drives)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Pretty much yes - as i pointed out in that thread make sure you use the right ports and dont mix tape and VMware LUNS on the same ports

The  Manage - FibreChannel - Scan command will make the appliance re-read the hba ports after you have connected and zoned in the library

It is really easy and i have never had a problem - cable them up, zone them in, do the Scan, check with Show (you don't always see the robotics for some reason) and then run the Device config wizard from the Admin Console to make sure they are all seen

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Great, Mark,  That's JUST what I'd hoped to hear.

Thank you !

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Let us know how it goes - I have done sooo many and never had a problem

There are things in the CLISH about configuring tape libraries but I have never used those - just stick to the Admin Console

P.S. If you plan to ever use FT (Fibre Transport) then don't use your FT ports

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Sure will, Mark.  Waiting for the device to be connected and zoned. 

<dumb question coming>..  whats a "Fibre Transport" (FT)? 

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Yeah, answering my own dumb question..   see it in the web GUI:

SAN Client FT media server [Fibre Transport for backups to this appliance]

Fibre Transport to a Deduplication appliance [for dupiation of for backups]

nah, don't need that.

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

OH DEAR!!   Just found out I asked the wrong question.  This 5200 and tape library are going to another location as a target for replication via AIR, and it will not be SAN attached; it will be direct attached.

First off, is that an acceptable configuration on at 5200?

And if so, I assume the steps are about the same to get the tape incorporated into the NetBackup setup.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Sorry for the late reply - I have been on holiday and just catching up on things .. no problem having it directly attached via fibre - configuration is the exactly the same just saves doing the zoning etc.

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

So, I managed to goof it up. 

The robot/tape drives got directly attached, I ran a fibrechannel show:

netbackup.FC> show
FC HBA card(s) are configured correctly.
**** FC HBA Cards ****
02:00.0 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI Express HBA (rev 03)
02:00.1 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI Express HBA (rev 03)

**** Drivers ****
qla2xxx     is loaded
windrvr6    is not loaded

**** Ports ****
Bus ID  Slot  Port WWN                Status        Mode        Speed    Remote Ports          
02:00.0 Slot3 21:00:00:24:FF:2B:A7:4E Linkdown      Initiator   4 gbit/s                       
02:00.1 Slot3 21:00:00:24:FF:2B:A7:4F Linkdown      Initiator   4 gbit/s                        

*** Devices ****
Device    Vendor    Host                          Type                   Remote Port            

*** Remote Appliances over FC ****
Please scan for VLAN hosts first

*** Notes ****
(NOTE: Ports in mode "Initiator*" are configured for target mode when SAN Client FT Media
       Server is active, however, are currently running in initiator mode, i.e. SAN Client
       is disabled or inactive.)

Then a scan:

netbackup.FC> scan       
FC HBA card(s) are configured correctly.
Initiating scan of port at 02:00.0
Initiating scan of port at 02:00.1
Scanning for VLAN hosts

And on my admin console ran the device config wizard -- it says "no devices detected" (screen shot attached)

So, what silly thing am I missing? 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Looks OK to me - card are in the right mode (initiator) - only 2 things come to mind...

1. Reboot the appliance and see if it works then

2. As they show as "link down" it may be the old clasic got-ya of the cables being crossed - you could try this one first .. unplug on cable, swap the ports over in the LC clip on the fibre cable and plug it back in to see if one path is then detected - if so do both!

Also make sure that the drives are part of the library partition so that they are actually initiated (check for lights on the tape drives)

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Rebooting underway !! 

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

THAT FIXED IT !!  Mark, you are a genius !!  All configured and (hopefully) ready to use.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Great stuff - breathes a sigh of reliefwink