cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.5.2A install problem (Linux)

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified

I have a brand new backup server (RedHat). I have already installed 6.5 but want to upgrade it to 6.5.2A so I have downloaded and untarred to the same place the following files:

NB_6.5.2A.linuxR_x86_305665.tar

NB_CLT_6.5.2_304451.tar

However, when I try to install NB_CLT it wants NB_6.5.2 without the A.

I thought I'd bypass the problem go for version 6.5.1 instead, but I can't, I get

THIS FILE HAS BEEN UPDATED! PLEASE CLICK HERE TO GET THE LATEST VERSION OF THE FILE

which takes me back to 6.5.2A.

I'd rather have 6.5.2A though. What am I doing wrong (if anything?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Matt,

Sorry, I was looking in the wrong place.  It's not your server pack; it's the client pack. 

It looks like the CLT pack was updated when the 6.5.2A release came out, probably with an updater that'll work with 6.5.2A, so you'll need to download the whole shebang again.  (The one you originally downloaded isn't even on the FTP site anymore!)

Here's the TechNote:

Release Update NB_CLT_6.5.2.tar provides fixes for the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.5 on UNIX clients. NetBackup UNIX Add-on products and Database Agents have separate Release Updates.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305647.htm

(Note the new TechNote ID)

And to save you some time, here's the direct link to the FTP: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/NB_CLT_6.5.2_305647.tar

Again, I'm sorry I didn't have this answer for you yesterday.

Message Edited by CRZ on 07-23-2008 11:32 AM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Status_Code_0
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you getting an error on the CLT install?  From what I can see on Symantec FTP site, NB_CLT_6.5.2 is the latest CLT install and is a co-requirement for all UNIX patch installs, including 6.5.2a.  Weird they didn't update the CLT pack too to 6.5.2a, but it appears you have the correct tar files...

If you are getting errors during install let us know.

Good luck.

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
Yes, the error is on the CLT install. 

CRZ
Level 6

Are you sure you have the right Linux pack?  Maybe it's expecting NB_6.5.2A.linux_305663.tar.

Do you have an installation log noting the failure you could paste here?  (If not, could you rerun NB_update.install and generate one?)

What's `uname -a` and/or `cat /etc/redhat-release` tell us about what you're running?

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified

Yes, I'm sure I'm using the right Linux pack because you one you suggested is for 2.4 kernel, and I have 2.6.  I've pasted my install log below:

#  uname -a
Linux spcmonbu01 2.6.9-67.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 6)

# ./NB_update.install

There are 2 packs available in /disk1/ZZ:
(* denotes installed pack)

NB_6.5.2A
        NB_CLT_6.5.2

Enter pack name (or q) [q]: NB_6.5.2A

Pack NB_6.5.2A requires pack NB_CLT_6.5.2 or a later.

Pack NB_6.5.2A requires the following pack levels(s) :
         NB_CLT_6.5.2.

Pack NB_6.5.2A will not be installed at this time.

Installing required pack, NB_CLT_6.5.2, now.

Pack NB_CLT_6.5.2 co-requires the following pack level(s) :
         NB_6.5.2.

ERROR: Corequired pack is not available in /disk1/ZZ:
        NB_6.5.2.
Download and extract the corequired pack and try again.

Cannot install NB_CLT_6.5.2.
Exiting NB_update.install

CRZ
Level 6

Matt,

Sorry, I was looking in the wrong place.  It's not your server pack; it's the client pack. 

It looks like the CLT pack was updated when the 6.5.2A release came out, probably with an updater that'll work with 6.5.2A, so you'll need to download the whole shebang again.  (The one you originally downloaded isn't even on the FTP site anymore!)

Here's the TechNote:

Release Update NB_CLT_6.5.2.tar provides fixes for the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.5 on UNIX clients. NetBackup UNIX Add-on products and Database Agents have separate Release Updates.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305647.htm

(Note the new TechNote ID)

And to save you some time, here's the direct link to the FTP: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/NB_CLT_6.5.2_305647.tar

Again, I'm sorry I didn't have this answer for you yesterday.

Message Edited by CRZ on 07-23-2008 11:32 AM

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
Thanks Chris, that worked :)