cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a disk pool for Data Domain over FC

SteveLaw
Level 5

Hi,

I have a working Netbackup 7.5.0.6 environment writing to Data Domain over the lan using the DDBoost plugin. The local Data Domain box is called BASDD002 and has a disk pool called MBFS_BAS and a disk volume also called MBFS_BAS. 

I've just configured one of my existing media servers with fibre channel connectivity to Data Domain, and I've run the required nbdevconfig and tpconfig command so that the BASDD002 Data Domain box now also appears in Netbackup as an available fibre storage server called DFC-BASDD002. 

To use this new storage destination in a backup I understand I now have to create a new disk pool for it. Under Media and Device Management / Devices / Disk Pools I've right-clicked Disk Pools and started the Disk Pool Configuration wizard. 

For 'Select the type of disk pool to create' I've only got the one option:  OpenStorage (Data Domain)

'Select Storage server' shows my local Data Domain BASDD002 and the new 'DFC-BASDD002' (which is the same Data Domain appliance but for FC). So I select DFC-BASDD002. 

Then the 'Select Disk Pool Properties and Volumes' window appears prompting me to add a disk volume. The only disk volume for me to choose is the existing MBFS_BAS on which I've already created numerous storage units being written to across the lan. 

disk pool.JPG

So my question is, do I add the existing MBFS_BAS volume to the new disk pool for FC storage? MBFS_BAS is already in the MBFS_BAS pool, can volume MBFS_BAS be in two disk pools at once? It's the only option available, but I'm not sure how disk pools / disk volumes work. 

Being able to write to existing MBFS_BAS storage unit via FC would be useful as it will simplify the transfer of some of the larger backups to FC.  

Alternatively do I need to create a new disk pool on the BASDD002 appliance which will then be available when I run the Disk Pool configuration wizard? Does that mean storage units for lan and FC are completely separate and can't be used for both methods?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

you have registred the DD with FC as a seperate storage server , that is also fine..

I would suggest you to do follow from the point that you are in now..

- create one new LSU in DD

- Create Disk pool for new LSU by using the Storage server. DFC-BASDD002.

- create a Storage unit for new Disk pool 

-Move your all jobs to the new storage unit.

once the all the images has been moved/expired on old stu you can delete the  STU/disk pool /Storage server.

it looks little bit long porcess.. its a straigth process without any complexcity.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla

you have registred the DD with FC as a seperate storage server , that is also fine..

I would suggest you to do follow from the point that you are in now..

- create one new LSU in DD

- Create Disk pool for new LSU by using the Storage server. DFC-BASDD002.

- create a Storage unit for new Disk pool 

-Move your all jobs to the new storage unit.

once the all the images has been moved/expired on old stu you can delete the  STU/disk pool /Storage server.

it looks little bit long porcess.. its a straigth process without any complexcity.

SteveLaw
Level 5

Hi Ramnagalla, thanks for your input. 

So i can't add the existing volume MBFS_BAS to the new storage server (even though it is the same storage server but using fibre channel)? If possible I'd like to be able to write to existing storage units using the new fibre channel method....

Alternatively I'll follow your staps above, thanks. 

RamNagalla

yes, you can add this disk pool to the new  FC Storage server .. that would not be a problem... 

you can still use that way also...

i personally want to go with the fresh new setup to aviode any future conficts and confussions...

SteveLaw
Level 5

Ok thanks. What sort of conflicts and confusions might I encounter?