cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR Restore to alternate network failing

thesanman
Level 6

I am trying to restore a Linux BMR client to some new hardware, albeit the same on a different network.  I boot of the prepared boot iso; it asks all the questions about client name (I made it the same), it's IP address (different), same master server name but again, a different address.

I have prepared the boot client on the master server; changing the mac address and ip address.

It fails just after "Retrieving client config from BMR Master sever ..." with ERROR: Failed to retrieve "/tmp/hex-number-of-new-address.conf" and throws me down to the sh-4.1# prompt.

For the life of me I am unable to work out for my source client how I can prep for restore using a different IP address?  Can anyone assist please?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

So I consider 0A028379 is the NIC you are booting with.

Then I suspect it would be a problem with your host name resolution at BMR master server.

In your restore env, check your client name in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf.

Verify this client name is exactly same (either short name or with FQDN) in /etc/hosts file in the restore environment.

For instance if bp.conf has client name with short name then it needs to be same in /etc/hosts. Also confirm if the client name registered at the bmr master server is same using below command.

netbackup/bin/bmrs -o list -r config

This will give you client configs protected using bmr. Locate your client and check if its name is same as that of bp.conf and /etc/hosts in the restore env.

Note: Short name and FQDN are different. Config pulling fails due to this name mismatch.

Thanks.

mandar

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Did you tune your original client BMR config MAC address to match your new target HW MAC address?

You need to make a copy of your BMR client config using admin gui, edit this config and change MAC address. Do PTR and give a try again.

You need to change IP_address and associated details as well if those are different than your original client.

Thanks.

Mandar

thesanman
Level 6

Did all that.  Created a "new" client based on my "current" source client; altered MAC address and IP of the interface to match new client.  Also altered host info to add ip adress info of master server and media server (different network IP's).  Checked that IP address matches.

Then did PTR.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Are you able to ping you netbackup master from the shell prompt of the restore env? Are you seeing correct entries in /etc/hosts file here?

Thanks.

mandar

thesanman
Level 6

Yes to both questions.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Do you have multiple NIC cards to your target? In that case are you booting up with correct NIC over NW?

Paste o/p of below command run from the master server netbackup/bin dir.

bmrs -o query -r database -table restoreconfigfile

Thanks.

mandar

thesanman
Level 6

Yes; multiple NIC's but is coniguring required NIC on required interface and MAC address matches.

8 vRestoreConfigFile Entries:
    ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 294
    Path = 0A028379.hosts
    FileContentId = 4018

ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 295
    Path = 0A028379.bp.conf
    FileContentId = 4019

ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 296
    Path = 0A028379.resolv.conf
    FileContentId = 4020

ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 297
    Path = 0A028379.conf
    FileContentId = 4021

ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 298
    Path = 0A028379.listfile
    FileContentId = 4022

ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 299
    Path = 0A028379.diskdata
    FileContentId = 4023

ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 300
    Path = 0A048335.info
    FileContentId = 4024

ConfigId = 4572
    Id = 301
    Path = 0A028379.restore
    FileContentId = 4025

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

So I consider 0A028379 is the NIC you are booting with.

Then I suspect it would be a problem with your host name resolution at BMR master server.

In your restore env, check your client name in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf.

Verify this client name is exactly same (either short name or with FQDN) in /etc/hosts file in the restore environment.

For instance if bp.conf has client name with short name then it needs to be same in /etc/hosts. Also confirm if the client name registered at the bmr master server is same using below command.

netbackup/bin/bmrs -o list -r config

This will give you client configs protected using bmr. Locate your client and check if its name is same as that of bp.conf and /etc/hosts in the restore env.

Note: Short name and FQDN are different. Config pulling fails due to this name mismatch.

Thanks.

mandar

thesanman
Level 6

That cracked it!

I had to update /etc/hosts files on both Master and relevant media server(s) to point the source client name including fqdn) to the new IP address.

Then, I deleted queued task and did the "prepare fto restore" which created the correctly named paths.  Doing this first didn't work; paths were wrong.

thanks for you help.

thesanman
Level 6

and to add; if your master server is not the same name/ip address you must update the hosts section of the restore client to have the new one and remove the old one.  One Master server only.  If you don't you end up with only the old master server listed in the transferred hosts file ... and again; it doesn't work only this time it times out after about 30 minutes at the same point "Error: failed to restore bp.conf" or some such thing.