Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR support for GPT Partitions

mumair109917
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

we are using netbackup 7.5 for BMR Restore of windows based servers, job partially done but client not appearing under BMR Client list and then after some digging i found that said server is using GPT, so i just want to know is there any thing that support or alternet solution for GPT and i didnt found any relaible resource that have prove Netbackup is not supporting GPT...... please help me out 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

BMR recovery support for windows EFI + GPT based system is enabled in upcoming NB major release 7.6.

7.6 RC package is available for customers. You may want to try with it.

Thanks.

Mandar

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As far as BMR goes this covers that it is not yet supported, but may come in the future: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168783

You could virtualise it but then it looks like VMWare does not support GPT disks either so would need to use a different disk structure.

That pretty much leave using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup type and in the event of a disaster doing a full restore - but dissimilar hardware can cause issues

It may be better to just see if you can re-provision that servers disks to move away from GPT so that you get the full functionality of BMR or VMWare backups.

If you start to use another piece of software to do the backups it adds the extra layer of management so if possible stick with NetBackup.

Hope this helps

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

BMR recovery support for windows EFI + GPT based system is enabled in upcoming NB major release 7.6.

7.6 RC package is available for customers. You may want to try with it.

Thanks.

Mandar