cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can all backup types be sent exclusively to tape?

BackupTheFuture
Level 3

Question:

A client wants to set up NetBackup 7.5 using only tape as storage. I was wondering if there are any backups that cannot use tape storage exclusively. In both my experience with VMDK backups, the backup must go to disk first if GRT is used during VMDK backup. Is this correct? My understanding was that a backup of the VMDK went to disk, was mounted, and then GRT performed. In order for the mount to occur, disk must be made available for this to happen.

Are there any other types of backups that will not tolerate tape as a storage destination?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As far as i am aware it is just AD, SharePoint and Exchange GRT backups that need disk - whether direct or via a VMware backup that need disk

SQL via a VMware backup would not need disk to function

Only having tape does restrict the system greatly though and disk is so cheap that to not have it is almost unheard of these days!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

as per my understanding GRT is for Exchage backup and AD backups... 

it does not applicable for the VMDK files... 

GRT does not work if the backup images on tape.. but you always duplicate the image from tape do disk and use  disk image GRT restores..

BackupTheFuture
Level 3

Let me clarify a bit. When you backup VMDKs, Netbackup with V-Ray allows you to restore individual files and databases for SQL, Sharepoint, and Exchange provided you install an agent on each guest VM you backup. I used the term GRT to refer to this feature.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at this topic in NBU for Exchange Server Admin Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3669

About configuring NetBackup for VMware backups that protect Exchange Server 

Step 2 in the table: 
Review the requirements for granular recovery 

See “Requirements to perform backups and restores of Exchange with Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)” on page 34.

If you read through the section on p.34, it refers to config requirements on p.62.
Here you will see that Disk Storage is needed.

Hope this helps.

BackupTheFuture
Level 3

Thanks.

But beyond these types of GRT backups are there any others that require exclusively disk?

Rob

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Dedupe needs disk as well.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As far as i am aware it is just AD, SharePoint and Exchange GRT backups that need disk - whether direct or via a VMware backup that need disk

SQL via a VMware backup would not need disk to function

Only having tape does restrict the system greatly though and disk is so cheap that to not have it is almost unheard of these days!