cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change format of report (bperror.exe)

Frank666
Level 4

Hi

Each day I have a NetBacku preport sent to me by email.  The content of the email is generated by this command line:

bperror.exe -U -backstat -server %1 -hoursago %hoursago% >> %report_path%\%1.txt

The problem I have is that the columns are not wide enough.  Some text is truncated from the report.

Here is what I see:

STATUS CLIENT        POLICY           SCHED      SERVER      TIME COMPLETED
  0    ServerName1  Oracle_Full_Dail    Daily_Full    NetBackupMa 04/21/2011 08:47:05
  0    ServerName2  Oracle_Full_Week Weekly_Ful NetBackupMa 04/21/2011 17:03:55
  0    ServerName3  Oracle_Full_week  Weekly_Ful NetBackupMa 04/21/2011 17:04:48 

There is not enough space to show the entire server name, policy name, schedule name and netbackup server name.

Here is what I should see:

STATUS CLIENT                 POLICY               SCHED             SERVER              TIME COMPLETED
  0    ServerName111     Oracle_Full_Daily      Daily_Full    NetBackupMaster1      04/21/2011 08:47:05

Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

O-L-D Technote that is probably still valid: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH18772

Seems you have a Windows master? See if you can locate similar path under <install-path>\veritas:  msg\C\netbackup and create SmeMsgs  file (no extention) as per the TN.

Frank666
Level 4

Thanks for the reply Marianne

Yes, my server is a Windows server.  I have a similar path under <install-path>\veritas\msg\C\netbackup .

I added the file but it did not work.

I saw in the technote that the locale setting environment variable LANG must be set to "C" for the customization to function correctly.  Maybe that's why it's not working for me.  Do you know I can set that environment variable?

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have in all honesty never tried it myself and will only be able to test when I'm back in the office (week of 3 May).

I have in the meantime used "Rate this Article" (on the right-hand side of the TN) to request Windows info. Maybe you want to do the same?

Eric_Zhang
Level 5

Add a new Variable  LANG=C in your windows box . and re-login . and then give it a try .

Frank666
Level 4

Sorry, I don't know where to put the new Variable...

That being said, I found a command that gives me what I need.  I now use the following command: 

bperror.exe -U -backstat -server %1 -hoursago %hoursago% >> %report_path%\%1.txt -L

using the long format gives me the full name of the target machine, the full name of the policy, etc

Of course the format of this report is not as convenient as the one on the other report I was using before (everything was on one line) but for now I can live with it.

Thanks to both of you for your help