cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration of Netbackup FlashBackup Windows option

giri_b
Level 4

Hi,

I would like to configure Flashbackup based backup in one of our clients. I understand that this is a type of raw partition backup with the ability to restore individual files. I would like to take backup of the E: partition. The total size of the partition is 838 GB while data size is 418 GB. I would like to whether this will occupy 838 GB in the Tape or Just 420 GB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It will backup the entire volume at block level - so 838GB backups - but at high speed

No way to skip white space

The answer may be to virtualise it and have the 838GB drive as a vmdk file and then use vSphere which will be as fast or faster (over the SAN) but will skip white space and deleted file if you wish

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It will backup the entire volume at block level - so 838GB backups - but at high speed

No way to skip white space

The answer may be to virtualise it and have the 838GB drive as a vmdk file and then use vSphere which will be as fast or faster (over the SAN) but will skip white space and deleted file if you wish

Hope this helps

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

I created a 1TB volume with millions of small files that filled up about 95% of the 1TB.  With a standard backup, in 19 hours I had 219GB written to tape.  With Flashbackup configured on the same volume, I backed up the entire 1TB in 14 hours.  The test were run to a SAN Media Server which made them faster in itself.  But if your 838GB volume has 418GB of large files, maybe database backups, then you might not benefit from Flashbackups.

giri_b
Level 4

The Drive has got around 3 million pdf files and it takes around 12 hours to complete.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Flash Backup shoould be OK for you then - be sure to follow theguide in setting it up correctly