Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert TSM tape backup migrate to Netbackup

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

one of my client, currently using TSM for backup with some of the backup images are 5 to 7 years retention period, now , they are planning to migrate in to Netbackup, is this any way to use TSM backup tape in Netbackup, or only option, restore TSM tape backup to stage disk and then again take backup by using Netbackup ?

Because, if I restore tape data to disk and again if I take backup by using Netbackup, then it will take backup with current date, then, how can I find data to do restore, if my cutomer asking before 3 to 4 years backup

Anyone guide me.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup can not read tapes written by other software except Backup Exec.

As you wrote, only way to migrate from TSM to NetBackup is 'restore and backup' method.
How about restoring data under the directoy named upon backup date like /restore/20121012? You can search backup by direcoty name.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup can not read tapes written by other software except Backup Exec.

As you wrote, only way to migrate from TSM to NetBackup is 'restore and backup' method.
How about restoring data under the directoy named upon backup date like /restore/20121012? You can search backup by direcoty name.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately no easy way when migrating backup products...

Yasuhisa's suggestion to use date-related folder names seems to be the best option. 

The only other way would be to keep TSM environment around for restore purposes - at least one server and a standalone tape drive...

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Thanks for information...