Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy zone !!

nbuno
Level 6

Fellas,

I have a crazy issue.

I m taking a normal flat file backup of a Solaris zone and an Oracle  DB runs on it.

Backup Method is - : DB gets shutdown via a cron job,after that scheduled backup runs and once backup is completed,DB is again to be brought up manually.

Now,the problem is that whenever the backup runs on already down DB,it brings it up..which is not desirable.

I couldn't figured out the reason behind this strange behaviour..Any suggestions ? Where should i might look up to check what going on ??

thanks..

7 REPLIES 7

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I would say look at your script.

When the db is up.

What happens to down it prior to the backups running.

Is it a script that Netbackup runs .... like bpstart_notify.bat? (edit - unix netbackup/bin/bpstart_notify)

and then does the same logic or script get run by bpend_notify.bat? (edit - unix netbakcup/bin/bpend_notify)

Because it sounds to me like you might have a script that goes something like this.

Check database

if up

down it

if down

up it.

in this case if the db was already down and the script runs before backups - than it would see a down db and up it.

just a thought.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree - check your script.

How is the 'scheduled' backup kicked off - by a backup admin or as part of the script using bpbackup?

Please remember that bpbackup is a background command - so if your script does something like this:

down db
bpbackup
up db

The bpbackup command will submit the backup request to the master and immediately returns to the prompt, which will run the next command in the script.

Extract from commands manual:

By default, you return to the system prompt after bpbackup is successfully
submitted. The command works in the background and does not return completion
status directly to you. The -w option lets you change this behavior so the command
works in the foreground. It returns completion status after a specified time period.

nbuno
Level 6

Netbackup is not doing any scripting stuff here (No bpend/start/notify etc..nothing )

Process is :

1. Manual Script--shut downs the db

2. Netbackup Policy starts the backup as per the schedule

3. Unfortunately,the db gets up automatically.

4.again the db is brought down manualy,as the backup has to be cancelled

5. backup is started again but this time db remains down just fine

6.Backup finishes and db is brought up manualy.

Now what ?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

What kind of job are you running for the backup?

Just a normal flat file backup, or is your policy a true Oracle agent backup?

nbuno
Level 6

Its just a simple flat file backup of few mount points. :(

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

There is no way a simple flat file backup could in any way cause a database to come up.

Either a human brought it up, or a script in cron or for netbackup brought it up.

there are a bunch of scripts in nb that could do it

check all scripts in <install>/openv/netbackup/bin

grep for the command or database name.

check on the client and on the master server.

If not there - it has to be a human or cron doing it.

nbuno
Level 6

that is what i m believing right from the beggining,however,this is happening and unfortunately i don,t have any logs to prove that. :(